One

"Pack your things. We're going to Australia." My dad stated with a grin, adjusting the glasses on his face.

My jaw dropped at his words. I couldn't believe this. We had just got back to Michigan from his last business trip, and now we were going to Australia?

"Seriously?"

My dad nodded in response. "Don't start saying how we just got back, we'll only be there for a month."

Standing up, he grabbed his plate and walked over to the counter. He ran a hand through his brown hair and turned on the sink, cleaning his plate. I sighed and walked over to him, handing him my plate.

"But dad," I pouted, putting out my lower lip. "All I ever do is sit inside and watch the same movies on repeat, maybe sometimes read a book. Why do I have to go?"

"Delilah, I don't want to hear it." My dad demanded sternly. "This time you're going to meet people, got it?"

I blinked and stared at him in disbelief. "You got to be kidding."

"I'm not. You really need to at least make one friend there."

Sighing, I rolled my eyes. "I really don't see the point. We're going to know each other, for what, thirty days?"

"Then you can exchange numbers." He replied, giving me an annoyed look.

"Fine, whatever. I'll be waiting to leave right when we get there, I always do anyways."

Groaning, my dad pointed to the hallway that leads us out of the kitchen "Get packed, we leave at eight tomorrow."

-

I woke up to my dad shaking me. The music in my earbuds was still playing, so I pulled them out.

"We're landing in a few minutes, get ready." He said, beginning to pack his laptop into its case.

I sighed and paused my music, unplugging my earbuds from my phone. I put them in my small purse and leaned back, staring out the window.

When we landed I sighed with relief, then let out a groan, realizing we were actually here. Everything seemed to take forever, until we finally arrived at the small apartment we were assigned to.

Walking in, I looked around at the quite large building. Our apartment was right above the beach, the clear water shimmering in the sunlight.

"Go ahead and put your stuff in one of the rooms, I'll take the other." My dad said, trying to carry multiple bags.

I grabbed some and took them, walking down the hallway to pick my room. Seeing a room with light blue walls, a large window, an extremely comfy looking bed, large dresser, and a walk in closet, I smiled and trotted into the room. I put my few bags on the bed and walked into the other room across the hall, it seemed to be the same as mine, but the closet wasn't as big, and the wall was more of a grayish than a blue. I put the bags down near the doorway and walked back into my room to unpack.

When I was done I walked into the main room, seeing my dad sitting at the table already on his laptop.

"Did you even unpack?" I asked, leaning on the doorway.

"No," he replied, his eyes glued to his laptop. "Why don't you go and look around outside. Not sure if you saw, but the boardwalk is right outside. Maybe you can meet someone your age."

Shrugging, I pulled myself off the wall and walked over to the table, sitting down in the chair next to him. "Do I have to?"

He rolled his eyes and gave me a you-better-do-what-I-say-or-you're-grounded-forever look.