Chapter Two.

"It was one summer, but you're not just one girl," I read bitterly to myself. I was staring at the words Calvin wrote on my wall before he left for Ohio. Lately I've been deciding whether or not to just go ahead and paint over them. They're sounding like pitiful lies more and more each day.

Because I'm still in love with the jerkface, I have my cell phone on the highest ringer, right next to me. Its only seven o'clock, so he still has plenty of time to call. But just in case, I keep it right by my bed.

The hour is creeping by slowly, so slowly I feel like I'm frozen in time. I turn on the Princess Diaries to keep my entertained, by I can't even enjoy my favorite movie right now. Calvin's face is all I can see, and I long to hear his voice. The huskiness that crept up on my that one sunny afternoon...

I was working at the Fashion Boutique, when he just strolled into my life. He had just came in shirtless, and leaned on the counter.

"What's your name?"  he asked, his voice low and smooth.

"I'm wearing a name tag, Casanova," I said, trying to sound wary.

He chuckled, then winked at me. "You're cute, Sunshine. Is that your real name, or does everyone call you that because of your radiant smile?"

I had tried to surpress the blush. "It's my real name. Is there anything else you'd like to purchase sir?"

"Well, is your love on sale?"

I breathe in sharply. The memory is still fresh in my mind, as if it had happened yesterday. My heart still beats fast whenever I visit it.

In one second, I become acutely aware of the spot where my phone sits. It flashes the id, and then it rings. All of my being is focused on this tiny device, and I'm afraid I'm going to crush it with the weight of my passion and joy as I snatch it up and flip it open.

"Hello?" I say, sounding a little too desperate.

"Hey there, cutie," a familiar voice draws. "The sound of your voice is the same, if not more, melidous charm I love."

"Calvin," I say, grinning to myself. "You actually, actually called."

His end goes silent for a little bit, and I start to panic that the call was ended. "Calvin? You there?"

"Sunshine," he said seriously, "we need to talk about something."

My heart drops to the pit of my stomach, and I wrap his sweatshirt tighter around myself. "Wh-what about?"

"I wanted to apologize, sincerely, that I have not been in contact with you. And even more importantly, I wanted to apologize for what's about to happen."

Oh my God, this is it. He's going to end us. "Why? Why?"

"My phone's going to be shut off for a little while, so I can't really call or text you. I'm really busy right now, but I want you to know that its not anything you've done. I love you, I really do," he says passionately.

"I don't feel loved," I sniffle.

Sighing, he speaks into the phone softly, "Sunshine, if only you knew how much I wish I could be with you, and I could talk with you. But I... I just can't. I will do my best to call you whenever I can."

"You don't understand, do you?" I growl.

"What?" he asks, confused.

"I've sat around, waiting for weeks on end or a freakin' text message, anything to let me know that you're even alive, and you tell me that you will do your 'best' to keep in contact with me? What happened to loving me, promising me with everything you had?" I demand, tears falling from my face.