Chapter 2

My body was still trembling from the high I just got off of with from my encounter with Alex. I was completely shocked that I had that in me.

And it felt amazing.

With that in mind, I walked with my head a little higher, back straighter, and a small smile on my face.

The bell emitted a shrill ring, a warning bell for late arrivals. I made my way to the front office, careful not to make eye contact with too many people. I had caught enough attention already.

The woman at the desk was the same woman who worked a year ago. I was pretty happy about that since she was always incredibly friendly to me.

Shelby Sanders was a petite blonde in her mid-30's. I knew her pretty well since I used to babysit her 6 year old twins. Her husband was an architect, and he was also an amazing person. Honestly, I was a little nervous about talking to her again. I hadn't seen her since I left, and I was a completely different person then.

I walked in a slow manner towards the desk where she was furiously scribbling things down with a pencil onto a pad of notebook paper. I noted the phone that was clenched between her left ear and her shoulder.

She muttered a few words and put the phone down with a heavy sigh.

I hesitantly opened my mouth to say something, but that's when she looked up.

Shock was a clear emotion in her eyes.

With disbelief written all over her face, her big blue innocent eyes widened dramatically, and her pink stained lips curved upwards, transforming into a dazzling smile. I smiled along with her.

Her smile always held so much kindness, and it was the kind of smile that warmed you up, because she actually meant it.

She hurriedly stood up and quickly rushed towards me to wrap her arms around my torso, since I was still taller than her by a few inches. I returned it immediately, and we just stood there for a few moments, happy to be near each other.

Mrs. Sanders always put me in a better mood. She had been a family friend for years, and I practically grew up with her around.

This hug felt like the time away hadn't really felt worth it. It was the one thing I missed about the Prep Academy.

As she slowly pulled away, I saw tears threatening to spill over her eyes, and a sense of nostalgia quickly overtook me.

She took a step back, grabbing my hands and taking a good look at me.

"You've grown so much!" Mrs. Sanders exclaimed. She met my eyes with a proud emotion clear in her expression.

I laughed.

"That's what happens when you're gone for a year." I said jokingly.

She shoved me on the shoulder and rolled her eyes.

"Come on. Let's get you registered for school."

I rolled my eyes. "Yippee," I spoke with a voice full of sarcasm.

"You could say it with more enthusiasm you know," she said in a scolding tone as she sat behind her cluttered desk. She started typing more quickly than I could keep up.

"Yippee," I repeated, this time with fake cheeriness.

Just then, the front office door flew open.

I didn't bother glancing up, as I didn't really care about who was walking in, although it did surprise me someone pushed the door open with that much force.