I

"Tori! Harry said he saw you over the weekend! What happened?" My best friend, Laura, squeals as I approach her at lunch.

"I was at the river, and he came. He left after a while because it was kind of awkward. But don't freak out, nothing happened." I laugh, sitting down.

"Good but you two would be the cutest couple. What were you doing down the river anyway?" She asks, taking a sip of her water.

I raise an eyebrow as if it's obvious, which it is.

"Missing her?" Laura asks softly.

"A lot. That and I needed to get away from dad and Mason for a while." I sigh.

"Understandable." She laughs, "How's Jack? Still refusing to come back?"

I nod slightly as Laura mentions my brother, "Can't bear coming here if she's not here. It reminds him too much of her."

Laura nods, biting her lip as she glances around the canteen, "Tell him I say hey next time you talk to him."

"Will do." I laugh, moving my hair out of my face.

Our conversation is cut short as the bell rings, signalling the end of our lunch break.

"See you later or tomorrow Laura." I smile, picking up my bag and walking towards my next class.

"See you Tori!" She calls back to me, heading in the opposite direction.

>><<

Back to the river. The place I go every day, most of the time just to escape reality. To get away from life and all the horrors.

I sit on the grass, taking my book out of my bag, deciding to read while there was still light out.

Flicking through the book, I hear my phone buzz, signalling someone either text me or is calling me.

I place my book on the ground, picking up my phone, glancing at the text showing on the screen.

To: Toronto
From: Jack
Hey Tori, where are you? Decided I should probably visit at least once in my lifetime, even if it hurts being back because of her. So I'm back, but where have you gone to? Please tell me so I can come there and escape Mason's questions x

I laugh, reading the message quickly before replying.

To: Jack
From:Toronto
I'm at the river. As always. I'll see you in about 5 minutes if you set out now. So happy you're back x

I put my phone back in my pocket, deciding to read a bit before Jack arrives at the river.

>><<

"Toronto!" A voice echoes around me.

I turn my head sharply, seeing the green haired boy running towards me.

"Jack!" I grin as he sits by me, embracing me.

"Nice hair colour. Almost as fabulous as mine." He winks.

"You wish you were as fabulous as me, grass boy."

"Old woman."

"It's called a fashion statement, and you're older than me! How was it living with the dinosaurs?" I tease.

"Pretty good actually. Lucky they didn't kill me then and there." He laughs.

I join his laughter, glad that my brother is back in Guernsey with me.

"Oh yeah, Laura says hey." I add.

"Laura Johnson? You still hang out with her?" He seems shocked.

"Well, yeah, she has been my best friend for years." I roll my eyes as he picks up my book.

"The 5th Wave? Is it any good? I've seen the movie but I haven't read the book."

"It's great. Read it. Use my copy of you want just give it back before you leave back to the land of potatoes, I mean, Ireland." I laugh, nudging him slightly.

"You're just jealous of all the rain we get." He mutters.

"Course I am. I love rain so much." I say sarcastically.

Jack laughs loudly, "When are you coming to visit anyway?"

"When I finish school this year. I'm leaving here as soon as I finish school. I also need to get away from the memories of her, but I had school so I couldn't really leave, but I think after I'll visit you in Ireland then maybe head over to England."

"Similar plans to me then." Another voice adds in.

"Harry, why were you listening to our conversation?" I ask, jumping slightly as I turn to face the blonde boy.

He shrugs, "I've been here for a while just didn't want to intrude."

"So creeping on us was better?"

"In a way I guess so." He laughs.

"You going to introduce us?" Jack asks me quietly.

"Oh yeah, Jack meet Harry, a boy from my school. Harry meet Jack, my brother."

"Nice to meet you." They both say with a smile.

"Awkward introductions out of the way then. What now?" I grin, putting my book in my bag.

"It's cold. We go home. That's what happens next." Jack stands up, wiping grass from his legs.

"Alright, see you tomorrow Harry." I pick up my bag and stand up, walking back to the house with Jack.