Chapter One

*Moonlight POV

It was a dark and foggy night in The Valley of Nissa when our head dragon, Sunstar called us to the sacred Pomona Tree for a meeting.  We were all in low spirits that day, as the bitter drought wasn't doing us any good.  The clan was struggling to find enough food and water to survive.  I watched as my sickly brothers and sisters walked through the tall grass to the Pomona Tree.

''Hey, Moonlight.  I've been looking for you, girl ,'' my brother, Starlight said.  

Starlight was a carbon copy of me.  We both had light grey scales that reflected the moon perfectly in the right angle.  Our black horns looked like that of an oxen's, and our brown eyes looked similar to the color of a pin cherry's bark.  Our wings were both big and black, about twelve feet wide when they weren't folded.  I took a look at my brother's sickly figure.  I was used to seeing his muscles quiver under his scales, but all I could see now was the outline of his ribs.  His eyes looked a bit droopy, but they still had a hint of joy in them.  

''Hello, Starlight.  Did you find anything on the hunt?'' I asked.

Each dragon in the clan was assigned to a certain job depending on their strengths and weaknesses.  Starlight was a hunting dragon, his job was to find food in the forest with the other hunters.  I was a healer apprentice.  I would complete training at the age of eighteen.  Right now I was fifteen, so that would be three years from now.  

''Nothing more than a few squirrels and turtles.  But it will be enough to feed the clan for the night,'' Starlight replied.

There was a total of eighteen dragons in the clan, including myself.  First we had our golden-scaled Sunstar, the head dragon.  He was the oldest and wisest of us all, approaching his 680th birthday.  Then we had Cold Stone, who was Sunstar's daughter.  If she was still around when Sunstar died, she would inherit the throne.  Cold Stone was rather small for a twenty year old dragon, but she still packed a punch.  Her iridescent scales were a sign of strength and wisdom.  

The rest of the dragon were either warriors, healers, or watchers.  The watchers were supposed to alert the clan of any enemies, such as other dragons or invasive humans.  

When we made it to the Pomona Tree we all sat down in a semi-circle like we always did.  Sunstar was sitting at the very front of the tree, waiting for us to all get settled.

''Hello, dragonlets,'' Sunstar started.

''Hello, Sunstar,'' we all said in reply.

''As you all have noticed, we have been having a hard time finding food and water.  The drought's been hitting us hard, we are very lucky to even be getting this fog, as it is a sign of water.  I have a feeling that this isn't Mother Nature at play.  I know her very well and she would never do something like this,''

''Then who or what could it be?''  a small brown dragon questioned.

''I don't know, Berry Paw,'' Sunstar replied, revealing the young dragon's name.

''So I've decided that I'm going to send a few dragons to scout out some places where I think they can find who or what is tampering with Mother Nature.  Oh dear, I do hope she's okay,'' the elderly dragon said.

''So with that, I will now choose the four dragons to complete the mission ,''

We all looked around nervously, trying to predict who Sunstar would choose.  Most of us had never set foot outside the valley.  It was all we knew, but if we continued to do noting about our drought situation, we would face dire consequences.  

''Leafback, please step forward,'' Sunstar said.

A young green she-dragon, who looked about sixteen years old stepped beside Sunstar.  She was graceful and poised, yet her blue eyes were filled with fear.  I never really talked to her, but she seemed nice.

''This is a very important mission that involves cunning and slyness.  You have both of those traits, Leafback.  I will be sending you to check out The Forest of Foloi.  It's overrun by those pesky little elfs and fairy folk.  They don't mean any harm but they get into plenty of mischief.  Perhaps they played a prank on Mother Nature,'' Sunstar explained.

''Shell Horn, you may step forward,''

I was familiar with Shell Horn.  He was a kind-hearted royal blue dragon, who was ten years of age.  Though he was young, he had an old spirit and was very intelligent.  I spent some of my free time watching over him as he played hide and seek with the other dragonlets in the tall grass.

''Shell Horn, you are smart and wise and those qualities are very beneficial for this mission.  I will be sending you to the River of Acheron.  The water spirits that live there are very cranky and always pick fights.  Maybe Mother Nature and those spirits got into a quarrel,''

''Moonlight, please step forward,''

I watched as everyone's eyes wandered towards me.  I was a little nervous, but I managed to keep my posture.  My feet took me next to Sunstar and Shell Horn.  

''Moonlight, everyone knows that your one of the most adventurous and creative dragons in the clan!  It would only be natural for you to take part of this mission.  You'll be going to the Kingdom of Spades.  The Queen of Spades is one of the most powerful leaders in this whole region.  She could be the one up to this.  However, you must be careful of the humans that live there.  You are not to be seen by anyone,''

I heard many stories of humans, how they had harnessed the power of creation and destruction. How some were vicious warriors who destroyed anything in their path, and how some stole from the rich to give to the poor.  How some spent time healing and bringing happiness to other humans, and how some ventured the world.  

''And last but not least, Mushroomtail,''

Mushroomtail was a fourteen years old pale white dragon; spotted with red dots.  I worked with her on a few occasions, as she was also a healer apprentice.  The dragon seemed to keep to herself, mostly only speaking to others when needed.  Mushroomtail was skilled in the healing arts, however.

''Mushroomtail, you're skilled in the area of healing and that is one of the most important things to know on a mission.  I will be sending you to The Laicha Mountains.  Sometimes Mother Nature forgets to tend to the Spirits of the Mountains, and to get her back, they sometimes tamper with her magic.  You will be leaving tomorrow, and I expect you to be back by ninety days time.  Before you leave make sure to come talk to me ,'' Sunstar said.  

With that, everyone returned to their usual activities.  I waited until absolutely everyone left to talk to Sunstar.

''Hello, Sunstar.  It's an honor to be chosen for this mission.  But I got a few questions,'' I said sheepishly.

''Ask away,'' Sunstar replied.

''So the first one is how do I get there, and the second one is... what am I exactly looking for?'' 

---

To be continued...