The truth

Happy Easter everyone :)  title sounds nice huh? :P well I hope you guys find your little eggs of joy today :P

------------ chapter 13.5 starts here------------

I ran through the dark night, not believing what I had heard.. I just couldn't. It couldn't be true..

Her words echoed through my mind. "Who was that boy I saw outside?" And then "Is it about Marcus?"

Could she really have seen Marcus? Outside my house? Maybe.. Maybe not.. We might never know. But one thing crossed my mind repeatedly- highlighted in an blinding red glowing light which made it virtually impossible to ignore. 

After everything we'd been through, mom couldn't be the one that last saw Marcus. She just couldn't be..

-------------------------------------------------------

Half an hour earlier

I sat, slinking against my bed. Marcus had broken my heart. My family members were lying to me. Who could I even trust? The weight of the past day was crushing me like a peanut beneath a swinging sledgehammer. I needed someone to confide in. Someone who could save me from the sorrow that everyone I loved was putting me through.

I stood up and walked over to my desk, pulling a locket out of one of the drawers. A locket I thought I'd never need again.

I opened it to see Alex's face smiling back at me. A sudden wave of warmth flooded over me as I remembered our times together. 

"I wish you were here..." I mumbled, letting a tear drop onto it before holding the locket to my heart.

The moment was disturbed by a loud knock on the door. The same loud knocking that had continued every five minutes for the last few hours.

"Isa, sweetie, please open the door. I'm sorry." I heard my mom's unsteady voice from the other side of the door.

I looked at the clock. She had been waiting outside for four hours. 

A part of me wanted to let her suffer for lying to me. Another wanted to forgive her for what she did. She was my mom after all. Everything she did must have had a reason. 

Following my better judgement, I walked over to the door and unlocked the knob. 

-------------------------------------------------------- 

"I tried to hold this from you because I wanted you to be safe. But I hadn't realized that for your safety I was sacrificing your happiness. If Marcus really means that much to you, I'll support you every step of the way. I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

I wanted to forgive her for coming clean, while at the same time punish her for keeping it from me for so long..

But there was something I had to do first. Something much more important.

-------------------------------------------------------

Half an hour later

I was panting, desperate to catch my breath. I had run and climbed like never before. Standing outside Marcus's room atop the tree branch, I felt like sitting down, sleeping for a few nights, maybe passing into a few month-long sleep. But I couldn't. The adrenaline was the only thing that kept me alert. The adrenaline that the thought of Marcus had induced.

But as I looked into the room, what I saw made my eyes fill with tears. And what I heard made me fall to my knees.

------------end of chapter 12------------

:O cliffhanger

You guys can thank me right now for letting Isa's mom tell her now instead of making her and Marcus suffer without knowing.

But what do you think she saw and heard inside Marcus's room?

This chapter is dedicated to happyharshini for completing her wonderful book- red ribbon of fate! Wishing you many more views, votes and comments :D