Daniel

"Honey, this is so exciting for you! This is only the beginning of a wonderful theater career! First RCA, then Broadway, baby!" My mom said as she was driving me to my very first day at RCA.

"Yeah." I said rather melancholy.

"What's wrong, Daniel?" My mother asked.

"Well . . . I miss Nicole, Evelyn, and Jenna. School won't be fun without them." I said.

"Honey, this isn't school! I mean, you have a few academic classes, but other than that you'll be doing what you love everyday! Besides, it's not like your friends just disappeared, they still all live in Wilton." My mother explained trying to comfort me.

"You're right. I just can't stop thinking about them." I said glumly.

"I know, baby, just remember that your friends love you very much and they probably feel the same way." My mother said sweetly.

After about twenty minutes of driving, my mother pulled up to the building. It had (not one) but three auditoriums. I tightened my bow tie, put my satchel around my neck, waved goodbye to my mother, and walked into the building.

Everyone seemed to know eachother. People were hugging, laughing . . . singing. I walked alone, past the crowds, to the main office. There I saw a giddy woman running the front desk.

"Hello darling, can I help you with anything?" She asked me.

"Yes, um, I'm Daniel Little, and uh, I need to find my homeroom . . . this is my first year here so I have no idea where I'm going." I said with unusual shyness.

She let out a strong, operatic laugh. 

"Honey, ain't that just life?" She laughed. I let out a forced, awkward giggle while I let her finish. "Hold on, sweet pea, let me find someone to show you your way." 

She took my hand and both of us walked outside of the office back into the main lobby. The woman looked through the large group of teenagers, and then her face lit up. 

"Robby! Oh, Robby!" She yelled while waving. She pulled my arm to the middle of the madness until we approached a tall, handsome boy with blonde hair and blue eyes.

"Robby, this is Daniel. It's his very first year here at RCA, and I was wondering if you could show him the ropes for the first few weeks." The woman from the office said.

"Sure, no problem." Daniel said in a deep, dreamy voice.

"Alright, have fun boys! And Daniel, once again, welcome to RCA." The woman said.

She strutted back to the office, and left me in the lobby with the many teenagers and Robby.

"Um . . . hi." I said awkwardly to Robby.

"Hey, Daniel. I know that RCA can be crazy on the first day." Robby said calmly. "Last year was my first year here, and the first day freaked me out. But trust me, you get used to it, you make friends, and it's a lot of fun. Can I see your schedule?" He looked at my schedule and found my homeroom.

"Well, I'm really glad to hear that." I said with relief. "Just out of curiosity, who was that woman?" I asked Robby as we began walking to my homeroom.

"Oh her? She's only the principal of the entire school." Robby laughed.

"Oh my god . . . I didn't know-"

"Oh no, it's fine. She's pretty chill." Robby said.

Finally, Robby showed me to my homeroom after about five minutes of walking.

"Thanks for showing me to my homeroom, I definitely wouldn't have been able to find it without you." I giggled shyly.

"Anything for a new student. And if you ever have any questions, don't hesitate asking me." Robby smiled and then waved goodbye to me.

That was when I felt it. It was a feeling that I never felt before. I didn't really know how to describe it, but my heart started pounding, my hands started sweating, and I couldn't get this Robby boy out of my head. I almost missed my name when the teacher was taking attendance, that's how much I was thinking about him. The only other connection I could make was how . . . Evelyn once described . . . a crush to me. She told me in fifth grade when she had her first crush:

"When you have a crush, your body does weird things, you think about the person all of the time, and when you talk to them, you act like an idiot!" She said.

Oh no. It can't be. It's not a crush. I'm just nervous and my mind is doing weird things. I like girls. I know I do. I just won't think about . . . Robby. The gorgeous boy with the blonde hair, blue eyes, and deep voice. Robby. The boy who was more than happy to help me find my way. Robby. Robby. Robby . . . oh crap.