Denial Train - iv. After the Age of Ultron

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters. Marvel does.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

It's just another typical day at the New Avengers Facility.

Sparring. Training. Practicing. Improving. And moving on.

Wanda had a difficult time but she gets all the help she needs. Natasha instantly became her role model. She knows that she's not up for being a big sister and it's totally not in her nature, but her presence is enough. And besides, the training keeps Wanda busy. Well everyone is. Except for the two.

Steve and Natasha are trying their best to make things between them less awkward. Steve did the first step by consoling her one time when he saw her crying quietly to herself. Being a shoulder to lean on while Natasha willingly lean on that shoulder.

Steve hates seeing her cry over a guy. Steve hates seeing her cry. And no matter how awkward things between them are, he tries his best to cheer her up, like how he used to. It's like they're starting all over again. It's like they are two strangers, meeting each other for the first time, trying to build a connection, a strong bond between them. Rebuilding their relationship and friendship. And they both wanted it to be stronger than the last one.

Natasha told everything to Steve. Their plans of disappearing once they finish the job, their plans of running away with each other. And Steve was mad. He felt betrayed. But then again, he realized that he doesn't have the right to. He doesn't have a good reason to feel that way. Even if it means that Natasha will no longer have his back and she'll no longer be on his side once she disappears with the love of her life.

Maria Hill actually noticed that something was off. And a mission would be perfect. The New Avengers were in the middle of simulation when Maria called Steve and Natasha. The two leaders decided to give the team a day off.

When the coast is all clear, the two headed to Fury's office. "About damn time." Steve looked reluctantly at Natasha, just to see her eyes leaving and stare at another direction. "It's been so long since the last time I've given the two of you a mission. Together." He motioned for them to sit down.

"S.H.I.E.L.D.'s got an intel. It's in Maldives. There are reports about women on their honeymoons who suddenly goes missing." Natasha already knows where this will lead. "Meanwhile the guy will disappear and act all weird the next day, as if they've taken some kind of drugs. So I want my two top agents, or ex agents, whatever to find out what the hell is going on in that supposedly sweet honeymoon." Steve felt his heart skipped a beat. It's true, it's been so long since they did a mission together. And when they finally will, they are an undercover couple.

Natasha didn't know how to respond. "Don't worry, Romanoff. Maria will take care of the New Avengers," Fury said when he noticed Natasha trying to open her mouth. "All is set. So move your asses and start packing your stuff. And I'm pretty sure that Maldives is a better honeymoon destination than New Jersey." They were both shock. Shock and confused. But Fury just shrugged it off.

Sun hasn't risen yet but they both preferred to leave early. And Fury surprisingly accomponied them to Stark's private jet. Natasha wasn't quite impressed when she first heard that they'll be using a private jet instead of boarding a public plane. "I believe it is more convenient, Agent. You'll arrive there faster. Don't worry, I'll tell him how grateful you are."

Right before Agent Romanoff set her foot on the private jet, Fury grabbed her arm. "I just want to remind you, Romanoff. Do not start the mission yet and try to blend in with your surroundings, first." Natasha looked at him blankly and he released her arm. "Familiarize yourselves. See if anything there is suspicious, you might find a clue." Natasha turned her back on him and continued walking. "I know you're excited but do not start the mission yet. And don't forget to enjoy yourselves, as well." She was about to face him and ask what's there to be excited about but he was already out of sight.