Chapter 12 ~ Creatures

© 2016 by Authorninja. All rights reserved.

Chapter 12 ~ Creatures

"My mother?" I raised my eyebrow. Maybe next my mother will come out of the grave and shout "I'm alive, it was just a prank bro!"

These people were really fucking with me now. Any respect I had for Camilla was thrown out the window, because she had a funny sense of humour. She gave a dry smirk, and I stared at her for an explanation.

"It's true," Alfred's rough voice chastised. "I knew your mother before she was even pregnant with you. It was actually her who warned me about the royals turning the Hybrids against each other, and that we needed to gather people. She was the beginning of Nos."

I widened my eyes. He sounded serious.

"What about my father?" I asked, having an odd sense of priorities right now. My heart ached even discussing him, but even now at what felt like ages after he died I was finding out new things about my parents. "Did you know him?"

"No," Alfred shook his head. "Your mother met him while looking for people to join our cause, and fell in love. We never saw a lot of her after that, but it didn't surprise me because she always made the right decisions. Because of your bloodline, your mother was known to have incredible abilities. Your mother was a seer."

"A seer?" I repeated, "As in she could see visions of the future like the Lady?"

"Yes," Alfred nodded as he stepped closer to us as he explained. "Your mother was incredibly powerful. She was a healer to everyone who knew her, but those close enough knew she had the abilities of her ancestors to see glimpses of prophecies. Maybe not as strong as the great one, but enough that her abilities gave her visions and warnings. Cora knew that her first born child would bear the form of a dark creature, and she knew that she would fall in love with a shapeshifter. When she had the vision, she told us that we needed to wait, because her daughter was going to be the saviour."

"The saviour." I nodded my head slowly, digesting it as I look around at the crowd. "Saviour of what, exactly?"

"The Hybrids," Alfred exclaimed. "A war as been brewing for decades between the major three, and we all know it's already starting. Vampires have been attacking witch camps, shifters have been hunting vampires for almost a century, and witches are starting to bring back lethal spells. Everything's falling apart, and hybrids have a habit of fixing problems with accessions or wars."

"What do you expect me to do?" I felt the energy of Charlotte and Harry beside me, going on the defence. These people were even crazier than us.

"I'm assuming you've already done it," He examines our group. "Vampires, witches and shifters - fighting together."

"Technically, half-witch here." I raised my hand, "And it seems like you guys already beat us to it."

"Nos isn't as old as you'd think, and our village only brings common hybrids. The only people from the major three that join the cause are the banished, or the neglected. Our people never did what you did. Royals, hunters, people who were taught to hate each other, learning to fight their own inner demons." Alfred smiled, "It's astonishing. Especially when one of you has such a strong voice."

I smirked at his look at me, "I think my duty as the royal Empress has been postponed, indefinitely." 

"Not just as a future Empress," He shook his head. "But as the first halfling. You are living proof of the chance that the major three have at living in harmony. Royal shapeshifter and witch blood, taking a stand against the Insurrection that's starting."