4

Ava's POV

I peeled my eyes open, immediately groaning as I felt a sharp pain in my head, a headache beginning to form.

"Alex, she's awake!"

"Fucking help her then!"

I heard footsteps rush towards me before I felt the bed dip down. I sat up, looking around me and immediately saw that I was not in my room.  I was in Alex's room and in Alex's bed.

Why the fuck was I in his bed?

I pulled the bed covers over my face, shielding my eyes from the light streaming through his bedroom window. It was too early for this. Even the sheets smelt like Alex and I hated how they smelt nice. Did this boy have any bad qualities?

Alex sat on the end of my bed with a worried expression plastered across his face. "Ava - fuck - are you okay?"

 I nodded. His hair was a mess and he was still wearing last nights clothes. 

Last night.

Suddenly my memory jogged and everything quickly started coming back to me.

I gulped. The last thing I remember is Mason and Brad fighting.

"How did I get here?" I asked, sitting up in the bed. 

"You came running down the stairs, you bumped into me and passed out? I took you back here and I thought your mum wouldn't be too happy if I took you home unconscious so I just put you in here..." Alex trailed off, scratching at the nape of his neck awkwardly. This was new.

"Oh God - don't tell me you slept in here as well because-" I started, teasingly.

"I didn't." Alex said, quickly cutting me off.

"Thank fuck, I don't think I could actually think of anything wo-" I said, before once again, Alex cut me off, clearly not in the mood for jokes.

"What happened with Brad?" He asked me, his jaw clenching as he addressed the one thing I was trying to avoid.

I shook my head. It was over and done with now - I just wanted to forget about it. "Nothing."

"Don't give me that - Mason told me what he saw but I need to hear it from you."

"Nothing - It doesn't matter," I told him, standing my ground and now noticing Mason and one other boy who I didn't recognise standing in the doorway.

"It does fucking matter!" Alex looked at me, clearly frustrated at my lack of cooperation.

I shot him a look. I met Alex yesterday. I don't know why he was so bothered.

"Ava, what happened?" He repeated slightly softer this time. 

"Mason was there- whatever he told you." I mumbled in defeat, my eyes almost pleading with him to just drop it now.

"Did he hurt you?" Alex asked me, the anger in his voice becoming evident.

I looked at my wrist where a large purple bruise had started to form where Brad had gripped me so tightly.  I gulped. Brad had seemed so nice. 

 Alex followed my gaze. I tucked my arm under the covers as soon as I noticed him looking so that he couldn't see it.

"No, honestly, I'm fine," I said, forcing a smile, but it was too late.