11

Ava's POV

By the time I'd arrived at my last lesson of the day, I was still fuming from what I had found out about Alex and Brad. I know that what Brad did was wrong but he'd already had a fight with Mason and the last thing I needed was for Alex of all people to fight my battles for me.

I couldn't help but think that the only reason that Brad even apologised to me was because Alex had made him and I hated that. If that was the case, I'd rather he never said anything at all rather than just because he was scared of what Alex would do to him if he didn't.

I trudged to a spare seat at the back of the classroom between Emily and Ryan and sat down, not in the mood to talk to anyone. After I'd grabbed a text book and an exercise book from the back, the teacher began talking. "So this week, you will be starting your projects on Particles and Radiation and I will be pairing you up."

The whole class groaned as the teacher went to fetch a piece of paper from his desk that had all of the pairs written down on it. He had a small smile on his face as he looked over the list in his hands, clearly pleased with himself.

I bet he had matched everybody up with people that they hated. Lucky for me, this was my first Physics lesson so he wouldn't have a clue who I did and didn't like.

"When you hear your name, go and sit with the person you are working with. We will be spending a few lessons on this in class but most of the work will have to be done in your own time so make sure to coordinate some dates with your partner to work on the project," He cleared his throat before proceeding to read out a long list of names.

"Lauren and Anthony, Eleanor and Ryan, Holly and Michael, Emily and Justin," Emily groaned from where she was sat next to me, grabbing her books from her desk and swinging her bag over her shoulder. "Wish me luck,"

I giggled quietly before listening to the rest of the names being called out.

"Georgia and Mason, Ava and Brad,"

My heart dropped into my stomach and I felt the eyes of Mason, Emily and Ryan all turn to look at me as the rest of the talking in the room blurred together.

Brad. Of all the people in this classroom, it had to be Brad?

I took a deep breath, turning to Mason next to me and biting down on my lip.

When I turned back to face the front, tucking my hair behind my ear, Brad was standing directly in front of me. My eyes flickered around the classroom, looking everywhere else but at him.

My eyes met with Mason's again and a look of concern flashed through them. "You okay?" He mouthed and I nodded, shooting him a tight smile.

"Are you okay?" Someone else asked and I looked up to see Brad smiling down at me. "I'm fine." I answered before looking back down to my desk and moving my chair over so he could sit in the seat next to me.

He sat down, placing his text book between us and pulling out his phone. "Do you have any dates that we could meet up?" He asked me, opening up his calendar.

His words echoed around my head and I couldn't stop thinking of that night, of Brad,of Mason, of Alex.

"Ava?" He asked, snapping me out of my thoughts and back to reality.

"Oh, sorry." I said sheepishly, reaching down to fish for my phone in my bag.

"I can do Friday?" I asked. Brad paused for a moment, thinking, before shrugging. "Sounds good,"

After we had a few more dates sorted, we began researching for the project. Every time, I looked back at the book, I kept catching glimpses of Brad's face and how badly bruised and cut it still was. The more I saw it, the more I became angry about how Alex had taken my problems into his own hands and beat up Brad on my behalf. This was never what I had wanted.