Chapter 2.1

It has been almost an hour since they began their friendly match. David played as the point guard under Leo's team. Sweat is dripping everywhere in his skin. He tried his best to impress the coach, even scored 30 points of the team's score while trying to manage an even distribution of the ball to his team. The game has no proper rules as to when to stop. It's a race to 100 points within an hour. Both team have surpassed that 45 minutes ago.

Romeo's team played just as hard as they do. Their team is well organized and had an even distribution of the ball too showing a formidable teamwork. They are good at looking for some loopholes on Leo's team defense, managing it to their advantage whenever they find one. There are 4 minutes left before the game comes to a hault. The timer will stop at exactly 5 pm in the afternoon. David has pushed himself to the limit facing the more experienced College players. He can feel his thighs starting to numb. His breathes are heavy with those endless dribbles, rebound and fast break.

He fought valiantly just to prove his worth to establish his position on the team. 2 minutes left and the score is tied to 120 points each team. The last minutes will determine whose team is going to win the match.

For anyone else, it would just be a simple friendly match. But for David, he has to imprint a solid first impression to coach Ansay.

The ball is in Romeo's team which gives them the advantage over David's team. The time is running fast. He can't simply let Romeo's team get that final shot and concluding the game with his team losing it. He labored so hard as he chase Romeo who is now up for a fastbreak with seconds remaining. 20 seconds left and Romeo still has the ball dribbling it expertly in between his legs trying to confuse David. But this beginner's trick won't work for him. Romeo positioned himself for a clean shot wanting to end the score to 120-122.

David prematurely predicted Romeo's move towards the basket and he jumped trying to block the ball from the ring.

"Damn it!! It's a fake!!"

David can hear himself scream as he looked at Romeo not jumping in time as he expected he would have. He can see Romeo's face beam with utter excitement when he manages to fool David with a fake attempt to shoot the ball.

David panicked.

There are 10 seconds left for the game to conclude and he won't settle for a tie. Since it's Romeo's team that holds the ball, that fact alone makes them automatically winners even if Romeo will miss because in the event of tie, the last one holding the ball will win which is unlikely since he has the light hands to propel the ball into the ring with precision.

David felt every muscle in his body ached.

He is too tired.

He won't be able to block the ball.

Romeo lift his feet off the ground going for the shot in time when David's feet touched the floor. Everyone is watching them. But it is Coach Ansay's eyes that David do not want to disappoint among everyone. He just can't miserably lose to this game just because he was fooled by a fake shot earlier.

With all his might and the strength that is left in his exhausted body, he stamped his feet on the ground, full force against his sole encouraging every muscle in his thigh to lend him the strength he needs to propel himself from the ground aiming to block the ball which is now being thrown expertly towards the ring. He growled as he project his whole body to the air extending his arms as long as he could and slapped the ball back to the ground to everybody's astonishment.

The ball bounced in front of Romeo but he is too stunned by David's almost impossible feat to ever catch the ball. So it bounced off the court. David desperately tried to run towards the ball when a long familiar whistle is blown.

The game ends.......

Everyone's gaze was on the ball's direction. David was surprised to see the ball on the nerdy guy's hand. He held it with both hands with what-the-hell-am-I-gonna-do look painted on his face which David finds oddly cute.

Then he does the most unexpected thing a nerd scrawny bespectacled guy would do. He lifts the ball with his left hand supporting its weight and throws it effortlessly from outside the court towards the ring, like it is his business. The ball made a clean shot, almost not touching the circular ring as it plunged straight to the basket leaving everyone in complete awe.

David himself can't believe what just happened. What the hell had happened to the world having some random nerd guys throwing effortless outside court shots that even himself will find hard doing, provided the distance the nerdy guy is standing away from the ring. What happened to those scrawny arms seemingly unable to lift a ball?

There was a long silence.....

"I'm sorry... Uhhhhmm, I did not mean to ruin the game..I was just like....uhhmm...." The nerd guy put on the guilty face as he stuttered to explain his actions. David looked at him sternly. He fired back David's gaze with his eyes squinting, showing off his deep cheek dimples while scratching the back of his head. And there goes the odd feeling again as David's eyes meet the round adorable blue eyes caged in thick binoculars from the nerd guy. It was like he is taken aback with some odd alien feeling, he swear his heart skipped a beat.

Just a beat.

Coached called in everyone for a huddle. David half-mindedly left the nerd with his eyes on the floor, which to him is kind of adorable how he is embarrassed instead of being proud of what he had done.

He run towards the corner where coach Ansay is seated looking back at the nerd guy who is still faced on the floor rubbing his fingers together like a child being reprimanded by his mom for the sweets underneath his pillow.

Adorable......

Coach Ansay gave everyone a sinister congratulations and praised David for his game. Apparently, they have won since it was David's miraculous blockade that touched the ball before the time ends. Everyone congratulated him. They officially welcomed him to the team to his delight as his teammates cheerfully picked him up. He could have been tossed in the air if not for his stocky 6'7 built.

The day ended with David's ensured varsity scholarship.

Everyone ruffled his hair and playfully punched his torso as they congratulated him with huge smiles of acceptance. For him the ceremony is over, he is now a crucial part of the team. He smiled at the thought of playing against the best of the best. He looked at the corner scanning for nerdy. He is no longer around. But he had left the gymnasium and David quite a mystery.

***There, do you think Angel's gonna join the Basketball team? Who will encourage him to do so?***

You bet it's David? We'll see......(: 

Please vote and let me hear your thoughts...