Prologue

~Prologue

By the time I caught up with him in high school, I realized he had made new friends. He didn't even talk to the ones we had a few years back.

He wasn't laughing all the time like he used to, now he would remain serious and act as if he'd be too cool for school. His friends had changed him. I instantly hated them.

We wouldn't even look at each other. At the bus stop, in the mornings, we stood meters apart, seperated by a wall of silence. In the hallways, it seemed as if to him, I was just another locker against the wall. He wouldn't notice me anymore.

I eventually started to question our friendship. Did it even matter to him? Does he still think about what happened so long ago? Does he still hate me?

I'd walk around school feeling upset, as if I didn't matter to anybody. He had been my best friend for so long, and if I never mattered to him, then who did I matter to?

By the end of ninth grade I had moved on from that depressive phase that lasted 5 months and decided to not think about it anymore. I decided to forget about him, to move on. I stopped thinking about the past and embraced the present, and instead of regretting, I kept telling myself that everything happens for a reason.

I barely noticed him in the hallways anymore, his friends always hung out in the cafeteria while I hung out in the girl's bathroom. We didn't have any classes together- for which I was grateful. Even if he was a year older than me, he wasn't very smart. He was known, even as a child, to fail a lot of important tests. Somehow, he managed to pass all his classes every year since I've known him.

By the time summer strolled along, I had all but forgotten his existence.

Then, the day I started tenth grade, my whole view of things flipped upside down.