Chapter 4

I coughed, letting them know I had arrived.

-"Ah, Ms Wells, you're here. Now I have to speak to you and to Mr Stokes here, so will you both follow me to my office please?"

I nodded and followed behind Christian. He turned to look at me, a confused expression on his face. I don't know if he was thinking about why the principal called us here, or because I was crying. I just avoided his gaze and looked down. It still hurts to think about what happened.

The principal went to stand behind his desk and motioned us to sit down. We sat in the two chairs opposite of the principal's swivel chair.

-"Now, Christian, you seem to have some trouble with your math grades... Your mother emailed me this morning and said she has talked to you about this, right?" the principal spoke sternly.

Okay, so this is about Chris failing math. Nothing new. What on Earth am I doing here?

-"Yes sir" Chris said clearly, not seeming intimidated by the principal at all.

-"Your mother asked if it was possible for you to get a tutor... And that's where Ms Wells here comes in the picture" he clarified.

Oh crap...

-"She asked if she could chose the tutor, so I emailed her a list of all our top students in the 10th grade, and she chose you, Ms Wells. She said she knows you... Am I correct?" he asked.

-"Y-yes sir" I stuttered nervously.

Did Mrs Stokes even know me and Chris weren't friends anymore? If she did, why did she pick me, out of all people, to tutor her son?

I turned to Christian, my eyebrows raised. He looked at me, that confused expression still clearly written on his face.

-"So, Ms Wells, I will give you a few days to think about that offer. You will get payed, and it's up to Mr Stokes and his parents to decide what days you will be tutoring. You have until Friday to give us your answer. You can get back to class now, the both of you."

I got up, and Christian opened the door for me. He followed me out and we walked together down the hall, the awkward atmosphere almost tangible between us.

At the end of the hall, he turned left, and I turned right, heading back to the bathroom.

I waited until the bell rang and headed to math class. My thoughts were so mixed up and my head was pounding so much it almost hurt.

I sat at my seat, and a few seconds later Christian came in and sat down next to me. He ignored me, just like I expected, but it felt odd. It felt almost as if something big was about to happen, like I have to expect something big to happen to us.

Today, it felt as if I noticed every single little thing Christian did: drum his fingers on the desk, tap his foot, cough... I'm pretty sure that didn't happen yesterday... Right?

When the bell finally rang, I took my time getting out of my seat and going to my locker. I sat in my usual seat in the bus, and turned on my iPod. All was normal... Until somebody sat next to me. I looked up and saw the same person I saw at the principal's office.

-"There are no seats left" he explained, motionning around.

I turned my head and saw that there actually wasn't any other seat left. I looked back at Christian, and he looked apologetic. Again.

He really has to stop looking at me like that. My heart hurts a little more every time he does. It's all too familiar and every time, memories try to come back.

Holding back tears, I turned my head to glance out the window. I don't want him to think I'm a cry baby. I suddenly felt a hand on my shoulder, making me jump. And what did I get for that? The same look.