Back Then - Kuroken AU

Kenma was sitting in class bored out of his mind. The teacher was going on and on about Japanese history, but he didn't care. None of it affected him majorly, so why should he care about the time Japan only traded with the Dutch? His life has never been affected by the Dutch.

Leaning back in his chair, he sighed, wishing the day would pass. Not a care in the world about the past, the future, and hardly the present. Class was the same to him. Lesson after lesson, lecture after lecture, voices after voices. That's all he ever heard.

To be honest, he didn't really care about life. It was boring to him. Just a blur to him, was his life. He recently just dyed his hair to blend in. He hated being noticed.

It helped with volleyball. No one was able to to notice him. That was if he played. Kenma was a first year, so the thirds years wouldn't let him play in matches. Many of his teammates knew he was good at playing. The first and second years all knew that that the blond was a great setter, but the thirds years refused to listen.

Kozume was never crazy about the sport. He remembers playing it in grade school because his best friend made him play it. Kuroo and Kenma hung out all the time, he was the only person Kenma opened up to about many things, but Kuroo moved away from Tokyo in sixth grade.

It broke the setter.

The move was so sudden. His best friend never told him that he was going to leave him. They never told each other goodbye.

One day, he was just out of his life.  Kenma's first crush was gone.

He didn't like school anymore; he didn't like talking to people; he didn't like playing volleyball either.

The lunch bell rang and the setter walked to Yamamoto. They walked up to the roof to join the second years from the volleyball club.

"Hey Kenma and Yamamoto-kun!" Yaku shouted at them, grasping their attention. "We have a new second year and he's going to be on the volleyball team. Kuroo-san, would you please introduce yourself?"

Kozume's head snapped up. Kuroo? His eyes, widening, made contact with the older boy. It's Kuroo. After all these years, he's back. I'm so happy. His mouth formed into a smile that most people don't see, but quickly it went away.

Why did he leave me back then? Back then we were always together. Back then HE was by MY side. Back then I loved him. Back then he left me without a word. All my memories of him, I should have left them back then.

"Kenma-" Kuroo said seeing Kenms for the first in ages. The middle blocker tried pulling him into a hug but Kenma pushed himself away.

"Don't touch me." The blond was quite, but loud enough for his childhood friend to hear.

Trying to grasp the setter again, Kuroo quickly tried to thing of words to say him. "Please, listen to me, I can explain. I had a reason to leave. I'm sorry I left. I didn't have a choice. I couldn't handle telling you." The rest of the volleyball team could feel tension had risen between the two and told them that they were going to eat downstairs in the club room.

After them leaving, Kenma decided to speak up. "Couldn't handle telling me? How about being able to handle your only friend leaving you out of nowhere?" Gritting his teeth, the first year felt tears running down his face and onto the dark concrete of the school roof. "You left me three years ago and you honestly think you can just leap back into my life and expect me to be okay with it? Well bad news, it's not like that. I don't hang out forgiveness like candy to trick-or-treaters. I cracked because of you; leave me alone before I shatter."

Kuroo stared at the blond. He opened his month to say something but quickly shut it without being able to utter a single word.

"Just as I thought. Not able to say a single thing. How pathetic. I'm leaving. We can be teammates, but I will never be your friend." Wiping his tears, he turned around and left for lunch.

All throughout class Kenma would continuously wipe his face. All he could was cry. No one noticed him thankfully. The school bell rang and the entire class stood up and continued to the door.

Kozume, as usual, was last to leave his room. Still crying as he exited, a pair of hands grabbed his waist and pulled him into the next classroom.

"Listen before you scream. Let me explain myself. And if you choose to still hate me after it, that's fine, but please, let me explain what happened." It was Tetsurou.

"Fine, you have ten minutes."

"Back in sixth grade, I fell in love for the first time. But something was strange about my first love. What to know why?" Kenma slowly nodded. "My first love was a guy. Turns out I'm really gay. But my mother didn't like that. I told her everything and she immediately rejected it all and told me I was sick. She hated the idea of her son not being 'normal'. She made me move out of Tokyo to avoid 'the the person making me gay.' I didn't have a choice, she made pack right then. We moved to a place about three hours from here. I tried for so long to comeback to the person I love. I was finally able to convice my mom to let me move in with my aunt living in Tokyo. The thing my mother doesn't know about my aunt is, is that she accepts gay people. Never in my mind did I want to leave you, but I back now. After evertying that happened back then, I'm here now. That kid in the 6th grade. That was you. I love you Kenma."

Tears were falling from Kuroo's face. Kenma just sat there silent. "Say something." But not a sound left the setter but an occasional sniff. Losing hope the black-haired teen was about to stand.

He felt someone grab his tie and pull him foward.

Before he processed what was happening, him and Kenma's lips were pressed against each others, their kiss getting deeper by the second. Kuroo could feel Kenma moan  as they kissed.

Pulling away to catch their breath, Tetsurou heard the love of his life say something.

"I love you too."

SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED. I'M ACTUALLY GROUNDED RIGHT NOW (Sneaky Meena) AND I HAVE STATE EXAMS THIS WEEK SO WISH ME LUCK. I'M GOING TO TRY TO WRITE THE NEXT CHAPTER ON PAPER SO I CAN TYPE IT UP SO YEAH.
ALSO 200+ READS? THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT.
WELL REMEMBER TO COMMENT WHAT SHIP YOU WANT NEXT AND YOU WANT AS THE PROMPT WOULD ALSO BE HELPFUL.
LOVE YOU HUMANITEES! BYE! ~ Meena