Gone, Much Too Soon (Final Chapter)

(Warning: death mention/ funeral mention)

(September 5, 1978)

It's a somewhat warm September afternoon, and Sherman, Aberdeen, Jessamine, and I are relaxing at home, wondering what to do for dinner this evening. I get up and walk into the kitchen, hoping that I can find something to fix for dinner. As I scan the cabinets, wondering what to fix, the phone rings. Speedily, I rush to the phone and answer it. "A-Alyssa, I need to tell you something," I hear Carlo say. He sounds like he's crying. Carlo continues, "This morning, Joe got up complaining of a headache and went to the bathroom. I got up to get dressed, and as I was getting dressed, I heard a loud thud. Then, I went into the bathroom and saw Joe laying on the ground, and... He died this morning." Instantly, I break down crying and say "I have to go, Carlo." When I hang up, I walk back into the living room. "Babe, what's wrong?" Sherman asks, walking over to me. Sobbing, I hug Sherman and reply "I just got a call from Carlo. Joe died this morning." I hear Sherman gasp, and Aberdeen starts to cry. Joe... I miss you, darling.
--------------------------
(September 7, 1978)

Today is the day of Joe's funeral. The other members and some former members of the Teenagers, along with Dion, the other Belmonts, Sherman, our daughters, and I, are sitting in the church, listening to Carlo give his eulogy. Earlier, I tried to give a eulogy, but Sherman had to come up to the pulpit and comfort me because I broke down crying. As I look around the church, I notice Darby. She's so beautiful. I'm sure she loved Joe as much as I did. Once Carlo finishes his eulogy, he says "Could the Teenagers and the Belmonts please come up and place a flower on Joe's casket?" I hand my flower to Sherman and whisper "You and the girls place your flowers and my flower on the casket. I'm going to talk to Carlo." Slowly, I get up and walk over to Carlo. When Carlo sees me, he hugs me and cries. I hug Carlo, and as I cry too, I remember the various fond memories I shared with Joe. I think of the time I made out with Joe in the alleyway at the boardwalk. Then, I remember when I gave him head before a concert. Also, I gloriously remember when Joe and I finally made love to each other in Philadelphia. However, I think of when he cried after Sherman and I made our relationship official. Even though that happened, Joe and I still remained friends. I let go of Carlo, walk over to the casket, and rest my hand upon it. A few tears cascade down my face. Joe, I wish I could've told you "I love you" one last time. I love you- I've always loved you. Even though we were both in relationships, I still loved you. Rest in peace, Joe. We'll remember you forever. You're loved by all of us...especially me.