Chapter 5: Digging for more

One Direction...? Isn't that the boyband from the X-factor that all 12 year old girls would shave their heads off for? I don't know much about them but I think I know a few of their songs. I know one that goes something like "You don't know oh oh.." But that's all I know to be honest. I wasn't sure whether Nina's assumption sounded credible or not.

"What makes you think he's from that band?" I prompted.

"Well the Niall from One Direction is from Mullingar, Ireland too. He loves Nandos and supports the Derby County. He plays football and the guitar and his birthday is also on the 13th of September. Not to mention he's also 20 this year." Nina said as she regained her voice.

"There could be so many Nialls who have the same interests as that Niall from One Direction. I bet it's merely coincidence." I say cynically. I grabbed my phone and looked at it questioningly. Should I text him and ask if he's in that band? As if on cue, Nina snatched the phone from me, unlocked it and began scrolling through my contacts. It took me a minute to realise what she was doing and I reached out frantically to grab it back but she was too fast. And too tall. Ugh fuck my height.

"Nina don't you dare, let me do it." I spit.

"Fine you're such a Sour Sally." Nina giggled.

I scoffed at her remark and composed my message with Nina peeking at the screen, and read it thrice before sending it to Niall.

"Hey Niall.. about that band you said you play for.. is it One Direction?"

Almost immediately, Niall's contact name flashes up on my phone. Nina bobs up and down, excited to read his reply.

"Have you told him how you felt yet?" Nina pushes.

I looked at her as if she was crazy and she got the hint. I open the text and read it.

"hey arianne ! uh no .. who's one direction? aha !"

I looked at Nina for her reaction. Her face turned from excited to disappointed as her gaze met mine. I shrugged as if it didn't matter. It really didn't, did it?

"So tell me more about you Niall :-)" I typed and sent it before I could overthink it.

Nina tapped on my covers impatiently like she was the one texting him. I love her when she's so into something, especially when it's something concerning me. A message appears on my inbox and I open it.

"well i told you a little bout meself on the phone .. lets see .. i have 2 sisters, my last name's Walsh, i have ginger hair, green eyes and im a guitarist in a band ! think i've told you that before haven't i hahah! what else do ya want t know arianne? ;)"

I can feel the heat in my cheeks starting to burn. I'm getting tingling feelings all over my body over that wink. I didn't know he was such a flirt. Nina watched me as I blushed and she snatched my phone off my hands before I could recompose myself after that text. She studied the phone screen as she reads the text. She literally started beaming as if she just won the lottery and got herself a hot boyfriend in a week. Her jaw dropped as she turn to me.

 "Oh my God ask him about his band you know? Just keep the conversation going! And he's totally flirting with you. Guys love it when you ask them things they're passionate of." I flinched as she screeched.

I'm not sure about this. Getting all friendly with a guy I just knew. And he seemed like a great guy just by the way he describes himself and how his voice soothes- oh no I'm not going there. I snapped myself out of my thoughts. I keep doing this, thinking too much.

"I don't know, Nini.. I'm trying to not get myself attached to another guy." I told Nina. She looked at me in confusion.

"What on earth are you rambling about? I told you to ask about his band, not propose and ask him to father your children. Reply him! If you refuse to then I will. You've kept him waiting for too long." she said demandingly. I stare at my phone for a while, scrolling through the texts on the screen. I held my phone to my chest and breathe out a long sigh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's almost a quarter past 12 and I could hear Nina's light snore on the other side of the bed. I've missed her so much though but her snore sure is something I don't. It's funny how two people from two very different backgrounds can be connected spiritually. I guess that is life. My thoughts start to drift to my horrible past and I start to hyperventillate. 

"Breathe Arianne, breathe" I told myself. My phone screen suddenly lit up. I swipe the screen to unlock it  to find a text from Niall. We've been texting for about 2 hours now and we're hitting off pretty good. He told me about how he and his mates had a silly idea to form a band called The Lads and that they would play at pubs, weddings and other small functions. Up till today, they were still doing it. 

I decided to end the conversation there and we exchanged goodnights. I laid on my bed pondering about him.

This boy was such a mystery to me despite everything he told me. Deep down inside I want to find out more. But my gut feeling is telling me something was about to happen if I do.