Chapter 8: Tugging on Strings

The cold breeze cut through him as he leaned against the window. They caught the night flight to Ireland in a charter plane and were currently driving off road to the base. They provided an escort service for us but as much as being away would excite me I couldn't hold onto it for long. The empty hole in my chest felt like it expanded with each mile that separated me from my parents. Not to think of the twins. Gods, they were so young and worse he was leaving them alone. He knew Sabestain would take care of them but they needed him now more than ever. 

They had passed through a small town to stop and eat but nothing seemed to get through to him. Uri had even decided to not talk to him through the whole ride. He greatly appreciated the act.  After what seemed like hours of dodging trees and making sharp turns the pack house came into view. It was like a mansion out here. Surrounded by a giant clearing that must be a beautiful view in the spring but it was winter and white snow surrounded every inch of ground and every tree protecting the house from sight. 

Stepping out of the truck the first feeling of safety filled my body. The first in the past week. Turning around to catch the duffle bag that was throw in my direction. Slinging it over my shoulder I followed Hector, our guide, inside the mansion with Uri right behind me. 

"Relax dude, everything is fine." Uri said as I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding to begin with. Entering the house was completely different then the outside. The lights lining the ceiling were dim but gave off enough light to lead down the hallway. It was early morning but the sun barely coming over the horizon. Walking down the black carpet looking to each furnishing that looked ancient. It looked like it had been redecorated in decades. The hallway slowly began to expand exposing the living room that was filled with Victorian couches and seats that faced inward and a fire place off to the open side along with a flat screen, so they did redecorated recently. His gaze swept to the end of the room where it connected to a dining room with a long table and chairs surrounding it.

"Welcome to your new home for the next few years!" A rough voice said with excitement. Turning around a tall tan skinned man walked down the spiral staircase. "Welcome Rowan and Uriyn." He said nodding to Hector before the stone man disappeared up the stairs. He reached us and the power that vibrated off him was intense. No wonder he lead the biggest pack, he seemed kind but when and any sign of danger to his pack he knew this Alpha could destroy anything. The soft brown eyes find his own green as sadness reached him and his smile turned upside down. "Rowan, I'm sorry for the circumstances  we meet under. I wish it was on better terms. I am Colton Rivers, Alpha to the Wolfrunner Pack." He said holding a hand out as I shook it a lump in my throat keeping me from holding a steady breath.

"I wish it were too." I said hearing my voice break a little more and pity flashed in his expression. "I am Rowan Ciaran, soon to be Alpha of the NightFall Pack." I said shaking his hand my voice strengthing at the words and Colton grinnded as he directed himself to Uri giving the same. Closing my eyes I clenched my hands into fists digging my nails into my palms placing a barrier against my heart. I will be come stronger. For them. For the twins. For myself.

***

After what seemed like the worst battle of my life I was finally free. Placing a hand on my stomach it was wrapped so tight I could barely breath. I could feel my breathing becoming slow and a bit harder to continue. Placing a hand on my chest I leaned over my cheeks paling as the blood left my head.

"Oh don't be such a baby! You look beautiful it's only one night!" Celeste said dressed in a bight yellow dressed that flowed around her waist complimenting her dark curls. She stood in front of the mirror putting small diamond studs into her ears.