Chapter 9: Unexpected

I could tell his eyes were boring into the back of my head but I couldn't bring myself to turn and face him. Letting my forehead hit the wall I stood frozen while my muscles relaxed. I was as shocked as he was, the one person I was destined to destroy was the one person who is holding my heart. It felt like two parts were being pulled, the half that loved my parents and the other half that loved her. Everything was slowly beginning to make sense, the day at the movies, her scent that never left my mind, the crone... The crone... I can feel the gears in my head turning trying to remember what significance she had but the memory was coming up blank. 

"Rowan!" All the nerves in my body jumped as the voice echoed through the house and I could already tell he wasn't happy. Flying down the steps jumping over the railing I can to halt in front of Colton as Uri dropped down beside me. "You knew who that was correct." Clenching my jaw I could only nod as more rage consumed me. "This is my land and no war has passed my lines. I hope you will respect that while you stay." I let out a relieved breath as Uriyn nodded obviously conflicted like I was. Signalling for us to leave we turned back to our room and shut the door as soon as we got in.

"You understand we can't harm her right?" I asked as he nodded staying silent on the bed, as much as I want to revenge the death of my parents, she was my mate. If I decided to claim her she would be our Luna. How is any of this possible? The fates had such cruel humor. 

"You do know we are not the only pack after her right? Remember others can harness her powers and use them against everyone, it can mean life and death." Looking back to my friend I could sense conflict in him, wanting the best for our people, and wanting the best for me.

"We can protect her, after we are done here we can find her and protect her. As her mate it's my duty to keep her safe." I said trying to make it sound like a chore but remembering how I protected her from the fall in the mall made my body warm as the feel of her body was embedded into my head.

"And if she rejects you?" The sadness in his voice was something I didn't expect, he hated the witches more than I use to. But how could he not? He never got to know his mother because of them.

"I'll suffer." I whispered hoping it wouldn't come to that.

*** 

I can't do it. My body was still trembling and my anger was back, so many questions popped into my head and none made sense. Hearing the crunch of wood I turned to see Jayden standing by a tree. "Is there a wolf pack here or are we safe?" I asked my voice shaking as he just shook his head and I nodded, we were safe. Taking a deep breath I screamed at the top of my lungs as the power I was so use to strapping down finally broke and small shots of energy hit the trees knocking them down. 

Feeling the last of my anger slip I walked into Jaydens open arms crying into his chest as he stood silent and held me as I broke down. It was the worst night. "Teach me to fight." I whispered into his chest as he pulled me away looking down at me with a suspicious look and I took a deep breath standing by myself. "They teach me how to protect myself with magic but what if I need more. I wanna learn to fight. I can't be defenseless. I am maturing faster than my guard, soon I'll reach adulthood before she does. I can't rely on them." I said as I stepped back closing my eyes as I snapped my fingers to put on a pair of black sweats and grey t-shirt. 

The look on Jayden was one of stone, nothing showed on his features, it was like he was battling his inner self, when I thought he would reject my request he let out a sigh. "Fine, only because soon I won't be able to be around anymore, something is coming and my father is gonna ban me from the human realm, please forgive me." His voice broke and I could tell he wasn't lying, I was gonna loose my best friend and something dark was nearing and I know he couldn't tell me, or he didn't know himself.