Black and Black

Xenon awoke at the first beep of his digital clock. He slammed a hand on it to stop it. He slowly got up and took a quick glance on the LCD screen. The red light blared 4:00 a.m. Xenon sighed.

"First day of school." He muttered. "Time to get ready." He fixed his bed and noticed that the other one was empty and was in its usual disarray. "Seems like he didn't go home last night." He shrugged. Abaven might have partied all night.

He went to the fridge and took a bottle of water. He took a swig and noticed the phone's red light was blinking, an indication that a message was left on the answering machine. He walked to the phone, pressed a button and Abaven's deep baritone filled the silent room.

"Hey bro, I won't be home tonight. Just called to remind you to lock the doors and windows before you go to sleep and when you get to the bathroom......don't forget tomorrow's the start of....."

"Sheesh! I know, I know." He grumbled turning the machine off, not bothering to hear the rest of the message. "Damn. How many times do I have to tell him not to call me that?" Xenon cringed. "He's the one to talk. He shouldn't have partied all night if he knew school's about to start."

He went to the wide windows and opened it, letting the breeze in. While Xenon changed into his sweat pants and running shoes, the wind went in and circled the whole room sweeping the note that was loosely posted on the bathroom wall. The note that had been there since early afternoon yesterday, fell and unnoticed by Xenon flew out the window. Xenon went to straight to bed yesterday and wasn't able to see the note, if he had seen it, it would have read:

Hey Bro,

Dr. Enkil told me earlier to remind you that she reminded you that tomorrow's the start of full moon week. She said you should check yourself before you leave the room or you'll be in big trouble. Don't forget to lock the door and the windows. I'll call you in the evening to make sure you get the message. Won't be sleeping with you tonight. Lock the door and the windows.

XOXO,

Abaven

Xenon changed into his black cotton pants, black sleeveless shirt and his black running shoes. He grabbed his ipod and hitched it in his armband. He took his customized skull candy headphones and placed it around his neck. He snatched Quaun and Ubry on his night table and dropped them in the pocket of his pants before he left the room. He headed straight to the sports complex and started to warm up. The well-lit grounds were empty except for the occasional patrol guards. After a few minutes of warming up, he started his morning routine.

After about an hour of exercise, Xenon went back to his dorm room. He strapped Quaun and Ubry on his black coffin back pack and took off his clothes before heading for the shower. At about 6:30 Xenon was out of the bathroom. After draping a towel around his waist, he went to the fridge to get the bilberry pie he made yesterday, grabbed his back pack, his room key and left after locking the door.

He walked to the academic building without meeting anyone. He spotted Ami standing on the hallway leading to the cafeteria. They always have breakfast together before class. As always, she was in her usual gloomy self. He frowned when she approached. She was raising a brow at him and was giving him a look that he could only identify as disgust.

Despite that, he smiled and greeted her with a cheerful "Good morning".

Ami merely tsked.

"What?" He asked, handing her the box of bilberry pie.

"You should be dead already." She replied, accepting the box. "I'm wondering how you made it this far without dying."

"What did I do?" He asked, confused by her cryptic words.