Driving to Houston

I was considering of going to Baton Rogue, but I decided to go to Houston. There was a bright flash of lightning & there were two ships, one bigger than the other I had brought down. I was afraid of how many there were out here. What are they doing here? I thought. The girl on the radio was saying Houstons' in need of more help, so I drove as fast as I can, hoping that the worm won't follow. That thing was nasty.
I came across the city limits by Houston and the car has a half a tank left.
I'm still kinda shocked that Howard drove into me, right outside and near his farmhouse.
     Well, I'm about a few miles near Houston and nothing happened yet, but just flashes of lights swaying in the air like helplessly gasping for air.

••• <[After some time passed.]

I got off the road and drove into Houston. There's fires everywhere, probably because of the green gas. While I was there, there was no living soul anywhere, as if, of course, their lives were taken by the invaders.
The girl on the radio said that there are people with signs near the windows of the buildings and even more dangerously, on top of the roofs. Some are even flashing their flashlights.
     As I slowed down in an parking lot, a group of survivors, wearing hazmat suits and the gas masks, better than the ones I made at the bunker but still good, came out of a store. The ones they have were more efficient, actual brand.
     "What is your name?" One of them said.
     "Michelle. I thought I was the only one."
     "We did too. We'll explain everything inside, it's too dangerous for all of us out here."

•••

     As they showed me their 'base' I guess you can call, it was basically a supermarket. Good choice, but it had no electricity. There is, but it's the backup generator outside, covered with a tarp.
     "My name's Madison. We're lucky enough to have you here." She said.
     "So what happened?" I replied.
     "Well, we have no idea, but it's most likely might've been from Bold Futura."
     "Bold Futura?" I questioned.
     "It's a subsidiary company of Tagruato, we heard they specialize in satellites & shuttles." She said.
     "There was a worker there that was prepared for anything, but mostly an attack from 'the martians.'" She continued.
     I was shocked. His company must've caused this.
     "Was his name, by any chance, Howard?" I said.
     "Yes. How did you know?"
     "I was driving alongside his farmhouse & he crashed into me 'by accident.' He put me inside his bunker & survived there for a while till I found out his intentions. I escaped & he died in the explosion."
      "What was his intentions?"
     "He dragged a girl named Brittany to his bunker &..."
     "Killed her?"
     "Yeah. Did you know her?"
     "More than that. She was my friend."
     "I'm sorry to hear-"
     "We've got something moving north of us!" A guard said on the rooftop.
     "Shit. Have you got any fighting experience?" Madison said.
     "Yeah. But I don't have any-"
     "Find something!" She yelled while running towards north of the store.
     Everyone was clamoring around the north side. I was standing there, figuring out what to use & where to possibly find it. So far nothing.
     "HELP!"
     I saw that another worm jumped at a person & looked at me. I need to help him.