Chapter 6

School was over, and for some reason Paul wasn't on the bus. I wonder why. I go to my house, and pick up the phone to call Paul. Someone answers, but it isn't Paul. "Hello?" A deep voice says. He sounds upset. "Hello, this is Juliette, Paul's friend." I kept hearing heavy breathing. "Paul has told me a lot about you, Juliette. He really likes you, ya know." I smile. But why is he so upset? "Well I just just wondering why he wasn't on the bus today," I say, keeping my voice soft and low. "He is in the hospital, Juliette. I'm sorry." My heart suddenly stops pumping blood, as it seemed, and the life is sucked out of me. "Wh... Why? What happened?" "I thought he had told you," he says, puzzled. "Told me what?!" I start to raise my voice. "A few months ago, he went in for a check in and the doctors found something strange. Paul got diagnosed with leukemia, and today right before last class, he had passed out." I can't believe it. Why hadn't he told me? I can't comprehend what I just heard, so I hanged up. I run up to my room and slam my door as hard as I can. I jump on my bed and beat my pillow. I cried and cried for what seemed like eternity. I stayed in my room for the rest of the night. My pop knocked on my door, but I wouldn't answer nor let him. I wanted to be alone, forever. Except for Paul. I want him to be in my arms, stroking his soft dark hair and looking into those puppy eyes. I want hold hold him forever, giving him the sweetest kisses he had ever gotten in his life. I want to see Paul. Now.
It was 4 in the morning when I had woken up from crying myself to sleep. I walked into my dads room, and he was already awake. "Daddy,..." And started to sob in front of him. He held me in his arms for a while. "Please tell me what's wrong darling." He whispered in my ear. "He has cancer," I could barely get the words out, I was chocking on them. He held me tighter and sang sweet nothing's into my ear for a long time. "I want to see him. Today in the hospital. I don't want to go to school." He nodded, and understood. I went in my room and tried to wipe up my dragged makeup. It's now six in the morning, and we drive a little while to the hospital.
The car ride was silent, and we went to the big parking lot. As we were getting closer to the doors, my heart started to beat faster. We got to the waiting room, and checked in. We were there for about 5 minutes when a doctor came in and said, "who is hear to visit James Paul?" I shot up from the seat and walked over, blowing my dad a kiss. I followed him into a small room with blank white walls, and blue boring curtains. I see the doctor leave and say "be careful, he'd just woken up." I look at my dear Paul, who is laying on the bed. He's shocked at his sight. "Juliette!!! What are you doing here?!" I run over to him and pull a chair next to his bed. I sit down, and grab his hand. "Why didn't you tell me, Paul? Why put me in this pain now? After all this time?" He frowns, and a tear comes down my eyes. I start to cry really hard, and he leans over to caress my hair. "Now now love, please don't do this to me, it kills me to see you cry." I lift my head up. "Just tell me why," I say, voice cracking. "I didn't want you to run away from me. When I first saw you walk in the room a few weeks ago, I thought you were the most beautiful girl ever. Forget what I thought, you ARE the most beautiful girl in the world. I couldn't let you slip away from me." I lean over and plop a deep kiss on him, and it was even better than the first one, because now, I had stronger feeling for him now than ever before. "See Juliette? You are amazing" he smiles. "Are you going to get out of this bloody hospital?" I said to him, being hopeful. "Yes, this has happened to me once before. But you must promise me two things." I nod, accepting his proposal. "First, you can not tell anyone about my condition. And secondly, don't ever leave me. Ever." I reply "I will never ever leave you, Paul. And I wouldn't tell anyone about this either." His face shows a sign of relief.
My visit was over, I kissed him goodbye. We drove home, just me and me dad. What a day.