I'm Coming Over

"5:00", that's what the clock on the oven reads as I glance over. They should be here by now! Mason should be here by now.... I think to myself, After all the preparation I've done to ensure that I look ok. I had gotten ready two hours ago.

As soon as I'd gotten home from the store, I had gotten undressed and had hopped into the shower. I'd used my favourite hair products; Loreal. I had made sure to use tons of conditioner and wash it out thoroughly, so by the time I had finished I could run each of my fingers through my long brown locks. I'd used a hair dryer and a rounded brush to create a natural wave that made my hair look voluminous, and had used anti-frizz cream. I used a sponge to apply a BB cream, and used my fingers to make sure it was blended properly around my neck and hair line. Then, I used a brush and I carefully swept a neutral rosy blush and a light tint of bronzer onto the apples of my cheeks, carefully contouring. Then I created a natural looking smokey eye that made me look older, completed with eyeliner on my waterline and mascara. I finished off my look with a neutral lip liner that had a tan coloured accent in it.

I put on my favourite high waisted light blue denim shorts, and paired it with a cropped, loose, white t-shirt. I put on a tanning lotion for a evened out, darker bronzed skin tone. Then I slipped on a bracelet that had in cursive letters on it "Mel", along with a hand-made string pink beaded anklet that my friend Lara May had made for me.

So here I am now watching the clock on the oven change. "5:01" Ugh, I think to myself. Twenty two minutes of looking in the mirror and applying more mascara later, and there was a knock at the downstairs door. I see Dee coming around the corner. She's also wearing a white loose top, except. It has a small pocket on the left side of her chest. She's paired the top with a white skirt that has in ombré affect that makes it blue mid way down. Her hair has been straightened, and her wrists are covered in silver bracelets and bands with blue accents. Dee looks like a movie star with her perfect teeth, and smile.

I watch her as she unlocks the basement door and opens it up revealing four guys. It's obvious which ones Mason and Justin's brother Tyler, because he has those same dark brown eyes that both Justin and Mason have. Only Tyler has a smaller nose than either Mason or Justin. The other boy that steps in, has short orange hair, and very blue eyes.  He introduces himself as "Luke" and then he sits down on the bench by the entrance way and begins pulling at the laces of his Timberland boots. Cidiot. I think to myself. (Pronounced sid-e-it) That means a city idiot. A term I'd learned from some of the boys in my class back in Miami a year or two ago, when a kid refused to get his rain boots dirty, simply because they wouldn't look as good. Any guy that wears skinny jeans with a muscle shirt and Timberlands, is definitely a cidiot. I look back and notice that Justin had already gone upstairs with Dee. Mason is undoing his authentic work boots, that have dirt and scratches all up either sides of them. It's clear that his once light brown boots have been through a several tough days work, because now they almost look camo with the dark brown mud splotches patterned all over them.
His hair is slicked back, but not in a 60's greaser kind of way. More like a "Leonardo DiCaprio in the Titanic when he attends the dinner with Roses family" kind of way. Anyways, he looks hot. He has a loose blue t-shirt, with a few buttons undone at the top. His jeans are distressed with lots of natural looking rips along the sides of his knees.

"Hey, how are you?" I stammer awkwardly. He must've noticed my awkwardness in the way I addressed him, because he's giving me an amused, playful smile he gave me earlier at the gas station. Mason answers my question with a simple,"I'm good, thanks." I lead my way up the stairs cautiously, because Mason is right behind me. "Your cottage is gorgeous!" Mason says. This is true, because it's recently updated. We tore out our old ugly, cedar cabinets, and replaced them with vintage chipped white ones. The old shiny grey counter top, has been replaced with a matte textured black, brown and white one. The fireplace is directly in the middle of the room, and has grey and white limestone crawling up the sides of it, and there's a piece of thick, old barn board as the mantel. There are two brown leather chairs with copper buttons lining the bottoms, on either corners of the room. The rug in the sitting area is white and shaggy. The kind of rug that you love standing on because of the feeling of softness it creates between each of your toes. There's crossed old paddles hanging on the small wall that's not covered with cool antiques that have been picked up along the way. The small coffee table is a dark brown, and is wooden. There are little dings all over it that make it look rustic and authentic, not trashy. I guide Mason to the bar at the side of the room, and pull up out a bar stool to sit on. Mason yanks on the chair next to mine and takes a seat beside me. I can feel myself shake with anxiety and nerves of excitement. 

I look over my shoulder and see Dee and Justin are huddled around the stove, watching the BBQ wings cook. Dee's stirring the pot of wings that are being marinated in BBQ sauces and I watch as Dee's thin wrist spins in circles, replacing the deep fryers spinner, that had broken last summer at our last party where we had made wings. Dee giggles at something Justin whispers in her ear, and turns the stoves power off. Dee carefully places easy saucy wing onto a pan, rack and puts it in the oven that has been preheated to 375 degrees. She closes the oven door and pulls Justin's hand into the back loft space. I look over beside me. Tyler, and Luke are on my right side, and Mason is on the left. There's a silence that had once been filled by Tyler and Luke's talking, that reappears. Suddenly I find myself saying, "anybody up for a swim?"