Klutz

My body shakes as I sit in the tailgate of my sisters pink and white pickup truck. I love my Summers on Moon Lake. The hot days that gave me permission to wear my tiny blue triangle swimsuit, the lake, the Birch trees, and my cottage friends. School went by so fast this year, but not to fast. As soon as June 12th came and I was out for Summer, Dee and I would be preparing for our Summer at Moon Lake. My parents had sat us down late May and had told us that they were going to be spending their Summer in Italy, trying to promote moms paintings. But as for me and Dee, we were going to be spending our Summer on Moon Lake. Since Dee was 19 and was legally an adult, my mom explained that she expected her to act like one. "Dee, your father and I are trusting you to take good care of Mel." she said signalling me. "You wanted to be treated like an adult, so act like one. "

My sister put her sparkly cased pink iPhone onto our wooden table, and stammered "Chill Sandy, It's a Summer at Moon Lake. The same thing we've been doing since I was three years old."

Dee has been calling mom Sandy for the past year and a half. Dee has insisted that calling mom "Sandy," will help her become an adult. Ya right, so that's why I'm sitting in the back of her pickup truck. So much for being responsible. When we stopped at A&W to grab two Buddy burgers, fries and of course root beer, she insisted that I hop in the back because I complain  when she listens to Pop music. I always want to listen to Country, but that doesn't interest her. She likes it enough, but  if she had her way it would be all the latest music. I think she only likes it because she wants to be caught up when we get to Moon Lake. Her friends Lou, April and Ivy, think they are just amazing. So Dee always tries to catch up will all the latest things before she is around them, so that she doesn't feel left out. Their from New York and we're from Alabama, so our news isn't exactly "news" to them. I'm leaning against the side of the tailgate when all of the sudden theres a really loud sound coming from underneath the truck.  Dee swerves to the side and the back window swings open. I scream and clutch the edge of the truck in a panic. "Calm yourself, Mel. It's just a popped tire not World War three." Dee exclaims, rolling her eyes, "Ghawd, how immature can you be!" 

I hop out of the back of the truck and dust off my worn out, light washed jeans. Dang, I think to myself when I notice the sore cut on my left arm. When the trucks tire popped, I fell backwards and landed on my arm. "Hop in the front, we're heading into town. We'll stop at the gas station and get a tire." Dee explains.

I click my seat belt together and change the music station and within two minutes, we arrive at "Shay's Gas Station." Dee walks inside to go pay for gas when one of they Shay's workers come to fill up our tank. I recognize the boy. He looks about Dee's age and I'm pretty sure that Dee and him had had some sort of a realationship. Dee had been in so many realationship's, that it was hard to keep track of every Tom, Harry and Lou. He was just a tad bit older than her but was still 19. I looked up and heard, "Mel! Hey! Is Dee around?" What was his name again? I had thought. I just couldn't remember. Jake....Jacob...Joseph..."Justin! How are you?" I said, finally remembering his name. 

It took me a while to remember his name, but I most definitely remember who he was. I remember Dee telling me that Justin is typically a very shy guy, so when you talk to him its like such a long time of rambling on about random things. That's not why their relationship ended. They just grew apart. That's when I suddenly feel something wet on my flipflop. "Justin! Oh my God! Your spilling gas all over the place!" A voice from behind me cries.

The voice is deep and full of excitement. I whip my head around to see a gorgeous boy with dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. Justin's brow raises in concern. He looks around and sees the gas he's spilling and quickly stops its flow. "Crap!" He mumbles and begins looking around for a rag.

The boy walks closer and swats at Justin's arm, shaking his head. God he has a gorgeous smile, it lights up his face. His smile alone makes him absolutely stunning in every way. I hear a Ka-Ching, and the door of  "Shays" gas station flings open. Dee walks out, fumbling around to put her many credit cards back into her Gucci wallet. Dee has always been pretty. Her long blonde hair has a natural curl to it, and she has beautiful deep green eyes. Secretly, I've always envied her looks. My dark hair also has a natural curl, and I have dark blue eyes. Not that I would ever admit to her that I think she's pretty. I hear another noise, but not the same one I had just heard. This noise was Dee's credit cards falling all over the place.  Justin runs over to help Dee, who is obviously thrilled to see him again. "Hey Mason!  Can you tell mom I'm going to be late for dinner?" shouts Justin from across the parking lot.

The gorgeous boy looks up and smiles. He gives Justin a thumbs up and laughs. I was aware that Justin had two younger brothers but, I had no idea one of them was so darn attractive.