Chapter Ten

"Absolutely not." Crane yelled banging his palm on the wooden table and glared at Eric. "We have no other choice." Eric said rather quietly.

"No Mr. Sams. If we put Viola on the stand that vile creature Alan Sendfeild will take her down. You saw how he counter attacked your witness, and like hell I'm going to let her go through that" He said in anger. I watched the argument enfold in front of me but I had no idea how to stop them.

"Crane you don't understand. If Viola takes the stand and tells her story the jury will see her. They will sympathize with her and she will show them the emotional impact that all this has had on her. Her vulnerability can be used to get the jury in our favor." Eric said staring at Crane.

"I'll do it." I whispered but they didn't hear me. "Eric what makes you so sure," Eric started but I got up and put both my palms on the table. "I'll do it." I said in finality, leaving no room for argument. Crane walked up to me and looked down at me in sadness. "I can do it Crane, trust me." I pleaded with him.

"I trust you Vi. It's that insensitive defense lawyer Alan I don't trust." He said through gritted teeth. "There are two ways this could end. Either her testimony will be touching or heartfelt causing Alan to refrain from cross examining her so as to get her away from the stand. Her emotions can be all we need to win this case and to stop that from happening Alan will try to get her away from the stand and cover the case with facts forcing the jury to look at the case in a logical manner and not emotional. Or the end would be Alan will cross examine her, intimidate her and prove that she is unstable. Whatever the case is she has to take the stand. The jury must be pulled towards us with her statement." Eric answered and then turned to me with that sweet smile on his face.

"Viola, you need to tell them everything that happened. Let them hear the story from you. Get them to feel for you and pity you. Their pity is what may help this case." I nodded and sent him a small nod. "I'll do my best Eric."

"I know you will." He replied. We left the small conference room and made our way to the court room. I was a big mess. My emotions were a big tornado inside me and I was terrified. I wanted to tell the world my story but even that thought brought a strange fear inside me. Crane walked beside me and took my hand in his. I looked at him in question and he smiled, squeezing my hand in assurance. I smiled back I knew it didn't reach my eyes. As we entered the room, I egged myself to be strong.

I waited and watched as the judge entered followed by the twelve members of the jury. Alan Sendfeild was wearing a navy suit and crisp white shirt. He looked even more sinister and cunning. He sent me a nod again and I felt a chill. I shook my head and turned back the judge as he began to speak.