Paint You Wings- Jalex

Word Count: 720.

"Jack, what's wrong-"

"Ally." My boyfriend whined, completely ignoring me.

I rolled my eyes and turned to go down the hall, halfheartedly hoping for him to call out and stop me.

He didn't.

I made it outside to the stupid benches our school had put in, and sat down with my head in my hands.

"Hey, Al, what's wrong? Why'd you ditch?" My friend, Justin, asked, stepping out after me.

"I'm so sick of Jack's bullshīt! I'm there for him all the fūcking time, and he never even acknowledges that I exist!" I shouted, blinking quickly to fight back tears. "I try to do everything, and he never even asks if I'm okay, anymore." I added, softer.

"Well, maybe you should break up?" Justin suggested. "Write a poem, or a hate song, or decorate his locker."

"Wait, what did you say?" I asked, words already arranging themselves in my mind.

"Write a poem? Song? Decor-"

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, hugging my friend quickly.

"You're welcome...?" He called, confused, at my retreating back.

___

"So, you're telling us you want to write a hate song for Jack? Then play it at the talent show? Without Jack noticing?" Rian asked, incredulously.

"Yeah, I mean, we don't really need another guitarist from one song, do we?"

"Well, maybe not, but how are we going to practice?" Zack asked.

"My garage? Isn't that what we normally do?"

"Well, yeah, but won't Jack wonder why he's not getting invited over to his boyfriend's house anymore?"

"I doubt he'll even notice." I assured them, bitterly.

"Okay, so do you have anything written for the lyrics?"

"Er, I may or may not have a song finished... it just needs music." I muttered, awkwardly.

"How long has it been done!?" Rian exclaimed.

"Er, maybe, like, a month, I think...?"

"Was it always about Jack?"

I nodded, looking away.

"Okay, when do we come over?"

___

"And next, uhm, All Time Low...?" The vice principal looked over at me to confirm it, I nodded. "All Time Low!"

"Hey guys, uhm, I wrote this song for my boyfriend, Jack. Er, here we go." I stepped back from the microphone and began playing.

"When will the princess figure it out, she ain't worth saving?

Heavy the head that bears the crown of my mistaken.

Apathy, for sympathy,

I was never good enough to be

Anything but a remedy

To all of your constant pressing needs.

And I never learned, so!

I painted a picture of the things I wanted most. To colour in the darker sides of all my brightest hopes.

But there's a monster standing where you should be,

So I'll paint you wings,

And I'll set you free!"

I looked up to where Jack was sitting and saw he had one hand over his mouth, like he was crying.

Everyone else was cheering, to an extent.

"I was a pawn in all of your plans, you kept me busy.

Locked behind your chamber doors when you felt frisky."

I heard catcalls and laughs at that line.

"Until you got sick of me, I was never good enough to be

Anything but a remedy to all of your constant pressing needs.

And I never learned, so!

I painted a picture of the things I wanted most. To colour in the darker sides of all my brightest hopes.

But there's a monster standing where you should be.

So I'll paint you wings,

And I'll set you free.

When will the princess figure it out, she ain't worth saving? And when will the world get over all the misbehaving?

Will we ever learn?

So!

I painted a picture of the things I wanted most. To colour in the darker sides of all my brightest hopes.

But there's a monster standing where you should be

So I'll paint you wings

And I'll set you free

So you can fly away

I painted a picture of the things I wanted most. To colour in the darker sides of all my brightest hopes.

But there's a monster standing where you should be

So I'll paint you wings

And I'll set you free

So you can fly away!"

We got a standing ovation, even Jack stood up, to run out of the auditorium.

I was tempted to follow him, but I didn't.

I set him free.