Chapter 4

As Kuroko woke up, he felt dizzy and nauseous. Okay, so sleeping outside with wet hair was not a good idea. He covered his eyes when he looked up to the sky, his eyes overly sensitive to the light. He didn't usually sleep in that long either, it had to be around ten o'clock. Everything felt slow and he couldn't think straight.

He tried to get up and tumbled to the ground from his spot in the tree. "I... I should go to... the..." he mumbled to himself, unable to think of the word. Without even noticing, he drifted back to sleep.

When he woke again, he felt more alert, but just as disoriented. The back of his head felt cold and his back was wet. Slowly getting up, he pieced things together. "I-I should get some medicine..." Taking his time—because he felt horrible and would probably faint if he moved faster—he made his way down the stairs from the monument to the shopping district.

• • • • • •

Exiting a pharmacy, Kuroko looked around for a nearby food stand. The nice man at the counter recommended that food should be eaten with it since it was hard on the stomach. He was rather hungry anyways, and following his nose, he found the type of food he was looking for.

After his purchase, he moved over to the side of the stall and faced the wall. Kuroko looked around to make sure no one was looking before he moved his mask to the side to take the medicine he bought. Quickly popping the pill in his mouth, he took a bite of fish and swallowed.

He didn't notice Shikamaru round the corner and see him take it.

• • • • • •

Shikamaru saw his chance and took it. His mother was distracted and talking to a stall owner she knew, so he dropped his bags beside his father and bolted around the corner. He poked his head around the corner to make sure that his mother didn't notice—she didn't—and sniggered at the betrayed look his Tou-san gave him.

Ha, he'll have to carry all those bags now. Sucker, that's too much work.

When he turned around he did not expect to see Kuroko. He was about to greet him but paused when he saw him put something in his mouth. Shikamaru frowned and narrowed his eyes in suspicion, what was that? He approached when Kuroko fixed his mask after another bite of fish. So he likes fish then, he saw that pleased smile as he was eating.

"Hey Kuroko," he startled Kuroko from that hard flinch he saw.

"O-oh, h-hey Shika!" Kuroko stammered in surprise. He didn't really feel like talking, still feeling unwell and all. His head couldn't really keep up with him.

Shikamaru thought of something, "Yeah, so my family's hosting a clan get together. Want to come?" It was a spur of the moment thing, though at the back of his mind he vaguely remembered his Kaa-san telling him to invite Kuroko during dinner the last two nights.

It took a moment for Kuroko to comprehend what was said, "Clan get together? I-I'm not a part of a clan in Konoha." Sure, outside of Konoha his father was the leader of the Nekoma clan, but the clan never joined Konoha. Kuroko has never really thought about it until now to register that he was the heir of his clan.

"Who said I couldn't invite anyone?" Shikamaru mumbled rhetorically, "Besides, my parents would love to have you over."

Kuroko felt a blush creep up upon him, he wasn't really used to being welcomed. "W-when is it?"

"Today," he paused for a moment and continued, "in an hour or two actually. Kaa-san wanted to get last minute supplies."

Kuroko scratched behind his ear, "A-a little short of notice, but," he sighed, "Okay." He really hoped that the medicine would kick in sooner rather than later.