Chapter 3

Author's Note:

Hello friends. How are you all.

In the previous chapters I only got I comment about my book. I would really like if all the readers could leave a comment about my book. I really want to know what you all think of it.

Thanks for coming back for the 3rd chapter. Hope you like this one too.

Enjoy.

CHAPTER 3

It may sound childish and crazy, but Martha really wishes that she could trip and fall and get her cloths dirty, even if it is for one last time. But now people rarely trip over. Due to highly polished tiles pavements, and the cleaning robots regular at duty, people slip and fall more than trip and fall.

In the dust and pollution free space station, natural soil was almost impossible to see. The only place where one might find soil is at the agricultural sector.

Walking absentmindedly, she noticed after a while that she had reached Suzie’s school. She looked at her watch. It was still at least 15 more minutes until Suzie was free to go home.

Martha waited for her in the parent’s waiting area.

A cleaning robot was whipping the floors. The areas it covered were shining as if the tiles were brand new.

These robots were much more efficient than human sweepers.
Back on earth, she had a unique relation with one of the sweepers in her school.

The name of the sweeper was Janet. She was a bit fat, around her 40’s and had curly blonde hair.

When school used to be over every day, as the children rushed out of the class rooms, some would wave goodbye to the teaching as well as non teaching staffs. Many children used to wave goodbye at Janet too. Janet, out of politeness, would wave them goodbye too. But only when Martha used to wave good bye, for some reason, she used to smile. And Martha liked her smile.

This was the relation she had with Janet. And it continued for many days.

But this was not unnoticed by her mother. So when she went to talk to her once, she got to know that Janet once had a daughter, who died a few years back due to some disease, which Martha could not remember. Martha used to remind her of her daughter. So she felt a special attraction towards Martha.

From that day on, Martha’s mother and Janet had been friends, until the day had come to leave earth for the space station.

Technology has made our life easier, but it also came with costs. It has destroyed many relationships, and prevented the formation of many. If these sweeping robots weren’t created, then perhaps Suzie would too have a Janet.

Martha was pulled out of her thoughts when she someone pulling her side bag.

She looked around and saw Suzie was pulling it to gain her attention.

“Mommy mommy let’s go.” Suzie said.”I want candy.”

Martha smiled at her.” Sure sweetie.” She said.