420 Blaze It

Mika angrily scratched the itch on the bottom of her foot. As of an hour ago, her patience had run out as Ray and Karry had deviated off their mission of finding work to look at Buzzfeed articles. Like any Buzzfeed venture, it had started well enough, with articles on the rising price of gas and dirt cheap recipes. Stuff that would come in handy for everyday life. Then Ray had clicked on 'Top Ten Roadtrip DIYs' and the snowball had started rolling down the hill­. 

Mika sighed, exasperated by another gag from Karry as the boys stared at some generic pimple popping video. How her brother got anything done was beyond her.

''Are you guys even going to try  and look for any possible jobs?'' she snapped at them.

''Chill Mik', we've got this down. Besides, Jack Johnson said he'd help us find something,'' Ray swatted away her dissaproval, having already forgotten about their game of dodgedryer yesterday.

''I talked to Jack and he said he'd show us the ropes if  he knew we were worth it. He's not gonna help us find a first gig Ray. Also, you were the one who said we needed to watch the Power Channels, and you're watching- 'Top Ten Movie Owls'. Watchmojo? Really?''

''It's a channel, yes,'' Karry noted, then to the screen; ''Oh come on! Hedwig deserved way more than number 5!''

Mika gave a huff of annoyance and turned on the TV in Aunt Mo's basement. The least she could do was stay informed about what was going on in the world. Though she would bet anything everyone was stuck indoors, too lethargic to go outside and tempt being melted by the sun's beating rays-

''-the fire has now spread to five other buildings, and firemen and currently evacuating the Lincoln Towers for fear they might also be engulfed in the flames. The eight hour battle against the fire has involved more than nine fire control temas and an additonal nineteen pyrokinetics for hire. The rescue mission is waging it's war with what seems to be efficiency, but as mission leader Hadil Adam says, it might not be in the bag;

'''We've been trying to work our way to the center of the fire, to uh, to try and snuff the source, but we can't find it. The heat in there is really intense-- we've already had one of our C-class absorbers pass out. Thankfully, we got him out in time, but the risk has really become clear-'''

Mika muted the TV as Karry shot up from his seat, staring in shock at the blazing buildings shown on-screen. ''Did she say the Lincoln Towers ?'' he frantically said, pulling on his shoes.

Mika and Ray got up in one swift movement, one grabbing the keys to her car, the other grabbing his phone as the trio rushed out of the basement and piled into the car. Mika pulled out of the driveway before her brother had the chance to strap in, sending him sprawling in the backseat. Ray got up with a yelp, but otherwise didn't complain; there was no time to complain. All three of them knew that Karry's grandmother lived in the Lincoln Towers, and that as feisty as she was, there was no way the old woman would survive if flames caught the building.

"Hold on Miss K, we're coming for ya," Ray said under his breath, clamping a calming hand onto Karry's shoulder as they sped towards the Towers.

When they arrived, the fire had spread. Karry watched, terrified, as flames waved from shattered windows and licked their way towards the top of the building. A group of fire absorbers rushed into the building and started bringing out people from the first couple floors, but they wouldn't be fast enough. Karry sprinted for the front door, unconscious of the heat as he could only think of his grandmother, sitting in her Lazy Boy, awaiting the flames patiently.

"Sir! Back away!" a fireman with the blue armband that designed him an aquakinetic bodyslammed Karry back into the crowd massing behind the fire trucks, trying to wrestle the boy into staying still, "You need to stay back! Now!"