[ chapter 4 ]

I woke up the next morning to a series of text messages.

Jace : hey
Jace : you up?
Jace : I need to talk to you.

I read the texts and shut my phone off immediately. I thought I found an actual friend , but I guess I was wrong. Life likes to screw me over like that. I already have plenty negative and hardness in my life, I don't need to add to that and pretend that I wasn't lied to.

Jace : iMessage shows that you've read my texts.
Jace : hear me out, pls?

I let out a deep sigh. As much as I didn't want anything to do with him, I should at least hear him out.

Me: you've got one shot to win me over again.

Jace kept typing for a while. My eyes were glued to the screen waiting for a reply.

Jace : First of all, I would like to apologize for all of the tweets. Whoever wrote them were completely out of line, but I can't really control other people so I hope you see I'm not at fault. Next, the reason I lied is because my last girlfriend only "liked" me due to my label in society. Not because of who I am. I just needed to make sure my acting career didn't get in the way. I needed to know you'd be a friend because of my true self. When you didn't know who I was at first, it was a relief. I didn't tell you so you wouldn't change your perspective on things.

It took me a while to read the long paragraph Jace had sent me. But afterwords, I understood where he was coming from. He wasn't out to get me or torture me, he was doing it for his own good and I respect that.

Me : apology accepted lol that was so heartfelt

Jace : so does that mean you'll hang out w me again? Because I had fun until that bitch came and ruined the night.

Me : let's just hope Addison doesn't show up.

Jace : you free to go ice skating ?

Me : i'm up for anything

Jace : k meet u in 10.

I hastily threw on black leggings and a loose white sweatshirt. I brushed my long, brown hair out and made it into a side braid.

Since we were ice skating indoors, I knew they would keep the arena cold. I made sure to pack a beanie and thin mittens.

• • • • •

"Size 7 for me please," I told the worker. Jace had already gotten his skates and was waiting at a bench for me.

"Here you go." I got a pair of old, gray skates.

"Thanks," I said and walked off.

I sat down next to Jace and slipped the skates on. I stared at the laces with a puzzled expression. I've actually never been ice skating before. I never really had an occasion. There's no way my dad would've taken me and after 5th grade, it wasn't like I even had any friends to go with.

"Do you need help with that?" Jace took my feet in his possession and started to tie my skates for me.

"Thanks," I smiled back.

When we were all ready to go, we walked to the arena to go on the ice. In front of the entrance, I just stopped.

"Would now be a good time to mention I've never ice skated before?" I chuckled a little.

"I kinda figured. It's okay, I'll teach you."

Jace stepped in first and I followed right before him. He instantly took my hand and started skating at a slow pace.

"Hm, you're not so bad," Jace said with a grin.

"Well that's because I'm clinging onto you for dear life."

"Haha very funny."

We skated around for a bit. I was still holding on to him. Something about him brought comfort to me. In a while, I finally built up the courage try by myself.

"Oh my god I'm actually doing it!" I started skating by myself while dying of laughter.

"You're a natural babe," Jace replied back.

Suddenly , I got off balance and started to slip backwards. I let out a shriek. Instead of hitting rock hard, cold ice, I fell into someone's arms.

"I gotcha." Jace said.

I turned around. My body was close to his. I felt him breathing icy cold breaths on my skin. His eyes, a perfect shade of brown. Messy tousled hair. We stared into each other and I felt him leaning in. Our lips touched. I tried to savor that moment as much as possible. Everything felt so right at that moment.

Jace pulled away. "Um sorry, that was totally inappropriate of me. But truth is, I really want you."

He was perfect, and me? Well, I was the opposite. It should be the other way around. I should be the one heads over heels for him. I knew I shouldn't ask for more because everything good in my life always ends up being bad. But, my mind kept urging for more. I couldn't keep away. It was like I was hypnotized.

"Who said I didn't want you?" I kissed him back, feeling the moment of satisfaction coming towards me again. His strong grip pulled me in closer as my fingers combed through his messy hair. At this minute, all of my pain and stress washed away. I had no worries in the world.

"Oh my god is that Jace Norman kissing another girl?" I heard girls shriek. Suddenly, my perfect moment was over. We both looked over and saw a bunch of girls snapping videos and pictures of us.

"He's mine back off!"
"Are you guys dating?"
"Who's this slut?"

These rude and hurtful questions kept coming at me like a whirlwind.

"Let's get out of here." Jace said as he dragged me out of the arena.

"I'm sorry about that." Jace said to me.

"I'm sorry Jace, but I don't think I can handle this. I know you can't control your army of fan girls, but I don't want to be hurt in the process of being seen by you."

"Abigail, don't do this."

"Sorry." I walked away.

•••••••

a/n : ayee. I'm back! Sorry to leave you guys hanging after only three chapters. I'll update a whole lot more asap. ilyyy