[chapter 3]

A fact about me is that I'm not an optimist. I like to think negatively about my personal life. After all, there's not much to look forward to if you're, well, me. In the past few weeks, things have taken a turn. I'm not my usual self. I've been surprisingly happy, and I might as well say I'm shocked.

My old daily life used to consist of me going through a same routine. I would fear going to school, but given no choice, I would go. Then, I would come home upset and aggravated with no one to turn to. I felt alone all day, every day. It was a painful and terrible feeling that I hope no one would ever experience.

I believed God finally answered my prayers and gave me a solution to my problems. I found another friend, one that really cared for me. Jace and I have grown indescribably closer over the course of last month. The phrase "love at first sight" was kind of what we had, except it was more "best friends at first video call."

Today, I decided to be an optimist, but guess where that got me. I guess the universe just hates me.

------------

"Hey Abigail, you have a text message," Katie informed me. I got up from my bed and walked over to where my phone was plugged in.

1 new message

Jace : hey, what are you up to? :)

I slyly grinned while I quickly replied back saying I was hanging out with a friend. Katie looked over at my with her suspicious face.

"Is it that Jace boy again?" she questioned.

"Yes," I began to answer, "Why do you care?"

"Well, you guys have been making plans to meet but never actually have."

"Katie, I would instantly meet up with him if I could, but you know my dad. There's no way."

She quietly glued her eyes back to her phone screen while I continued to text Jace.

Me: hey!! I'm just hanging out with my friend :) hbu?

Jace: about to hit the mall.

Me: that's cool

Jace: I mean, I've really been wanting to meet you. U should come to riverside mall rn....

I hesitated for a moment. For all I knew, he could be a sociopath trying to kill me. But, even though my brain told me not to, I impulsively texted him back that i would be there by 12.

"Hey Katie"

"What." She answered back.

"Get ready, we're going shopping."
____________
Black leggings, Brandy Melville loose t-shirt, a thin army green jacket. Make up done, hair brushed and ready to go.

"Do i look okay?" I questioned, " I don't want to look like I'm desperate but I don't want to look crappy."

"You look fine, why are you so nervous?" Katie stammered back.

I glued my lips together while we both exited out and entered Katie's mom's car. The radio was blasting to all of the top pop songs at the moment. We rode together in silence.

"Thanks." I gave a smile as a token of gratitude and hopped out the car. Katie and I walked towards the entrance where Jace said he would be meeting us.