C H A P T E R 15

C H A P T E R      15

‘Okay, first of all, guys, Kyle is going to be coming to help out for a few weeks. He’ll be here at one.  I think you all know him except for Katy.’ I looked at her questioningly. ‘Kyle comes and helps out for about two weeks a year. He used to be a resident here, only a few years back, so I think he understands you all a bit better than us grownups.’ There were a few snorts at that. ‘He’s twenty one. I think everyone remembers him living here except maybe Joe, who came a few months after he left.’

‘Right.’ I nodded.

‘The second thing I wanted to talk to you about is our annual beach day out. The journey there and back will take a few hours each way, so you’ll all have to pack bags for the journeys, and also what you’ll do there. I will take some beach balls and sport stuff, and maybe a rubber ring. You can bring allowance money to go shopping on the beach front and, if you’re over ten, in the town, as always.’

There were a bunch of protests from Reece, Di, and Joe, and Kayla stamped her foot. Sue ignored them.

‘Bring you’re swimming costumes if they fit, if not you can always buy new ones when your there, either with your clothes allowances of your saved money if your clothes allowances won’t cover it.

‘Any questions?’

Four hands shot up.

‘Yes Joe?’

‘Why do people say the sky is blue but today it’s grey and yesterday it was grey and the day before and the day before? I’ve never seen it blue!’

‘First of all, you did, last week to be exact, second of all I meant to do with what I’d just said.’

The triplet’s hands went back down.

‘Any more questions?’ Sue asked, ignoring Joes hand that had shot back up. ‘No? Good. You can carry on with your day.’

We disbanded, Ava, Leah and I drifting off together into the living room.

‘Uh! I hate him so much!’ Ava was saying to me. ‘Kyle is such a pervert, he always stares at my boobs or bum whenever he comes over. He’s really mean to the little ones too.’

‘I know,’ Said Leah. ‘And he has that weird thing with Cam, you know, the glares and stuff. And that time they had a punch-up in the hall last year.’

‘So he’s not very nice then?’

Ava looked at me. ‘He’s a dick.’

‘Too right…’ Leah muttered.

Kyle arrived at two, rather than one, so missed lunch, but he didn’t seem to care. He was going to be sleeping here most days so we had to lug up his bags of unnecessary things  to his room. I was willing to put aside Leah and Ava’s views, because Sue seemed to like him, but when he arrived I saw that they were right. He sneered at me, asked who I was, and when I told him, he winked and went upstairs leaving the rest of us to take his things up.

He was blonde, but it looked dyed in part, and he was wearing massive sun glasses even though the sky was grey and it was probably going to rain in a few minutes, not to mention the fact that he was inside.

I scowled at his back as he ran up the stairs, and took the first suitcase, leaving his three other bags for Ava, Leah and Jake, who looked rather put out. Cam seemed to have abandoned us, maybe because he couldn’t be bothered to help, or had gone out with mates after the House meeting, but I suspected it might have something to do with his dislike of Kyle that Leah had mentioned. I tried not to focus on that, thinking it might just be a rumor, but their apparent ‘punch up’ in the hall said otherwise.