C H A P T E R 26

C H A P T E R   26 

‘Why are we on there?’

‘Well, I mean we did run away…’

‘Yeah, but don’t, you know, people in our situation do that a lot? Don’t teens in general do that a lot?’

‘Yeah. Um… It says that our ‘disappearance’ has lead the government to question how well social services are doing their job. They… They haven’t named us but, you know, it’s got pictures of us, so, well, people who read this might-‘

‘It’s fine, we’ll just keep our heads down.’

‘Right. We will.’

He rolled it up.

‘Come on, we’re fine. Let’s just hurry up and get back now.’

‘Yeah, let’s.’

‘Hey, Katy?’

We were at the little back street. The place was all right. A bit grubby, a bit dirty, with the faint aroma of piss drifting through every now and again, but it was better that some streets.

‘Yeah?’ I replied as I unrolled my sleeping bag. ‘What?’

‘Thanks.’

‘For what? It could be any number of things…’ I said, jokingly.

‘Shut up.’ He said back, smiling slightly. ‘I just mean, you know, thanks for coming, even when I didn’t want you to, thanks for sticking by me, even when I got mad, thanks for helping and you know, accepting me-’

‘It’s no biggie. Seriously, it’s fine.’

‘Hey, it is a biggie. You ran away from your new home for me-‘

‘It’s not my home.’ I said back evenly.

‘Sorry, but you know, you came to a different country for me. So, you know thanks. That’s big in my eyes.’

‘Yeah. It’s- it’s fine.’

‘Sorry I was a prick to you…’

‘It’s fine.’

‘It’s not. I don’t know why you put up with me.’

‘Neither do I.’ I joked halfheartedly. ‘But, I mean you’ve done your fair share of putting up with me, haven’t you. What with the whole Gabe thing, and all.’

‘Yeah.’

There was silence for a bit before he let out a shaky breath.

‘Hey, Katy?’

‘Yeah?’

‘I know I’ve only known you since, like, July but… I- I really like you.’

‘What?’ I couldn’t dare to hope, couldn’t dare to believe. I’d heard wrong, or maybe he meant as a friend.

‘I… I like you. A lot. Like in that way.’

I wasn’t sure what to say. ‘Oh… ‘ Pause. ‘Are you joking with me?’

‘No, ‘course I’m not.’

‘‘Cause you know, in my world, the only place a guy you like fancies you back, is in your imagination.’ I laughed nervously. ‘You mean it?’

‘Yeah.’

‘Why?’ I whispered. ‘Why would you like me? I’m damaged goods. Gabe’s already broken me, and I’m not going to be fixed easily.’