The Ice Wall

Katie practiced her new powers in her room. She lifted all of the water out from the cup of water she carefully brought into her room with her water control powers, and then iced it, just for fun. It was a giant ice cube.

Imagine putting this in my glass of water!

She giggled like a toddler.

She placed it down on her rug, hoping it wouldn't melt in her room. It would be a giant mess. Too bad she didn't have Avery's power. It would be much easier.

Meanwhile, she could at least put it outside so the sun could melt it. Her mother was in her room, saying she had a headache, and Jake was in the living room. She could sneak past him easily.

She lifted up the giant cube, sneaked past Jack who was zoned into the TV anyway, and managed to squeeze the cube out the screen door.

She placed it in the yard where her new neighbors wouldn't notice, and where the sun would melt it fastest, not that Ohio was hot.

Katie went back inside to go back to her room. Maybe she could figure out a way to find Avery's phone number. Katie was bored, and she needed someone to talk to about this mermaid stuff. It still sounded bizarre.

"Katie! Someone's here for you!" Jake called to her.

Katie walked to the front door, and saw Avery. She smiled at her, thankful. Finally, she could talk to her.

She was surprised Avery even wanted to see her again, after that cruel threat Katie gave her. She realized that now.

"Hi Katie." Avery greeted. "Can we speak in your room?"

Mermaid business. Cool!

"Sure!" Katie smiled, excited.

"Wait a second." Jake interrupted, staring at Avery. "Who are you?"

Katie rolled her eyes. Her protective brother. He was always protective of her, even when she was first born. That's what her mother said, anyway.

"This is Avery, a friend down the street I met." Katie explained. "Let her in, Jake. Don't be rude."

"I'm not being rude." Jake argued. "I'm making sure."

"It's okay." Avery smiled sweetly.

Jake blushed.

Katie looked back and forth between them. Were they...flirting?

"Come on, Katie!" Avery smiled, walking into the house, and up the stairs, like she knew where her room was.

"Isn't she a little older than you?" Jake asked Katie silently now that Avery was out of sight

"And aren't you acting like Mom?" Katie also asked, leaving him to join Avery.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, do you have powers?" Avery asked Katie awkwardly.

Katie smiled. "Yeah. Two powers actually. Freezing and water control."

Avery raised her eyebrows. "Really? Nice. I have two powers too. I just found out yesterday."

Katie laughed.

"So...the most important question is..."

"'Does anyone know yet?'" Katie finished. "No. No one. Close calls, but no."

"Good." Avery sighed, feeling like a weight just got lifted from her shoulders. She felt like she could breath again.

"What about you?" Katie asked, curious.