Chapter 4 'Wonder'

As King Mal swung his heavy sword, King Jake ducked down, grabbed Layla and ran. As they ran, Mal called for his guards to chase them and bring them to him. The chase was on.

   All the people who were still alive would follow Jake and Layla to a secret exit. They all managed to make it out and everyone ran as fast as they could into the woods. There they decided to create a secret kingdom so Mal could not find them and on they built.

   It took two years to build the kingdom but when it was done, it looked beautiful. Another thing that was beautiful was the baby that Layla had during the two years. They called it Vanessa. And that baby is me.

   It's been 10 years since the battle. Because of the battle, no one can go out the woods unless it's to get food and other stuff like that. Sometimes I look out my window and wonder what's outside of the trees and the animals and everything, but my parents say that I can't go out there for my safety. I know that they mean well, but I'm 12, I'm old enough to take care of myself. I've been stuck in this small kingdom never able to leave and I'm getting tired of it. I want to travel and see what's out there, but every time I try, they always catch me. 

   One my free time I would play with the other kids in the village and draw. I would draw what I see in my imagination about what's through the woods. About what I would see if I was to travel beyond the woods. I would show my friend Max and he would tell me what he thinks.

   One day when I was with Max, he told me that we should try to leave the kingdom. I didn't know if that was a good idea

   "But you've always said that you wanted to see the outside world. Come on let's do it" then he made his pleas faces and when he makes that face, its hard to say no. So we started to plan out what we would do.