IV

Emma leaped out of her chair. "M-mister Marlow!"

Clarence squinted at her. "Miss Kelly?"

"You see, Clarence? She came back because she said that she had a hunch about Jack the Ripper! Isn't that good news?" Bernard said enthusiastically.

Emma glared at Clarence coldly. "Ye din't say ye were bringin' 'im, Officer."

"What's wrong with him?" Bernard asked in bemusement.

"It's jes..." Emma looked into Clarence's expressionless eyes and sat back down uncomfortably. "Sir, I want'd to talk to ye in private."

Bernard's gaze passed between Clarence and Emma. "Emma, we were going to the morgue to see the body, and I have to be there. Couldn't you talk to one of my junior officers?"

"It would be better if I could tell you meself," Emma said, trying to ignore Clarence's calculating stare.

"Hmm." Bernard adjusted his hat thoughtfully. "You said you knew the victim? I'm sure the morticians would value your opinion, and any information you might know about her. You can talk to me after the examination."

"Yessir!" Emma stood up again with a bit more cheerfulness.

Bernard smiled warmly. "Then we should travel to the morgue immediately. I'm sure Clarence would like to give his professional opinion on the body as well."

"Professional?" Emma glanced suspiciously at Clarence.

"What he means, Miss Kelly, is that I studied medicine for three years in college," Clarence explained.

"Huh." She looked like she was considering something for a second, but the quizzical expression passed quickly. Emma frowned and strode past the two men. Unbeknownst to Bernard, Clarence's demeanor suddenly became quite grim.

The morgue was only a carriage-ride away. Clarence was lost in thought the entire bumpy way to the morgue while Bernard and Emma got along splendidly. When they got to the morgue, the sun was beginning to set. Golden light was casting long slender shadows on the ground. The trio clambered out of the carriage, suddenly sobered by the thought of what was waiting for them.

Clarence lead the other two who looked a bit nervous at the tall dark building. He swung the door open. The morgue was a dingy place. Grimy wallpaper was peeling at the corners of the walls. Dust particles could be seen floating in the faint firelight of a few oil lamps that lined the maze of halls. "Scotland Yard!" Clarence called.

A rotund man with greasy black hair seemed to appear out of the shadows. "Hello again, Mr. Marlow."

"We received your report on Eddowes' body, Ninian, but we were told that we could inspect it ourselves."

"Oh, of course! I'm afraid it is quite unsightly, though. We could hardly clean it up very well. Her face is cut up something dreadful"

"Yes, thank you."

"And who is this?" The man peered beadily at Emma. "I have seen you before. You work in Whitechapel, don't you? Some filthy prostitute shouldn't be allowed to--"

"Miss Kelly is our guest," Clarence interrupted sharply. His eyes glinted angrily at Ninian, who cowered and took a few steps back. Emma looked curiously up at Clarence's newfound gallantry.

"I-I'm sorry. Please, follow me. Mr. Marlow. Sir." He scampered down a dark hall with Clarence following softly like a shadow.

Emma moved slightly closer to him. "Thank ye," she whispered in Clarence's direction.

"It is I who must apologize. The service here is atrocious."

She giggled quietly. "Quiet down, we're in a morgue. Arn't we suppos'd ta be in mournin'?"