80 Days Before

Today was an outdoors day, something rare for Simon, especially with the weather conditions in the cloudy city. It was special because his few closest friends were available for a day on the football pitch. That morning, he collected JJ, Cal, Manny, Josh, and Ethan together for a quick 3 on 3 match. Together, they tightly piled into Simon's Enclave, just barely fitting all six boys with their gear and boots.

Half way through the game, the scores were evened out to 3's all around. Tired and slowly dehydrating, the boys decided to take a short break before they finished. As Cal and Simon shared a bench to sit while they practically inhaled their water, something colorful was caught in the corner of Simon's eye. He set his almost empty water on the cold metal of the bench next to him, turning to get a better glimpse of Cal's arm.

"Cal." He said gently, earning the lanky boy's attention easily. Trying not to alarm him too much, he silently pointed to the boy's arm.

"Mate, it looks like you've finally got yourself a soulmate." He chuckled. Cal's eyes widened at the sight of the neat red marks being scrawled across his forearm. The other boys, noticing their ruckus, made their way over, congratulating Cal. He was the last of them to receive his messages, as he was the youngest of us and the minimum age you could begin to receive them was 20.

"I can't wait to meet her!" He shouted proudly, obviously excited. As the marks appeared, Cal studied them, extremely interested. Unlike Simon's soulmate, this girl didn't write words, she only doodled. Beautiful depictions of flowers and swirls muddled together, growing all the way up to his elbow.

"Beautiful." He whispered.