Your Voice I Never Heard, Only Silence

Supreme Leader Snoke was dead. This was unexpected, though not unprecedented, and the heads of the Imperial Remnant were anxious to meet with the new leader to determine if they should continue their support of the First Order. It was through Snoke's influence that they'd been willing to put aside their differences and ally to form the Order originally, and were skeptical of whether or not it could continue without him.

The stories they had heard of Kylo Ren did not inspire confidence – he was a powerful Force-user with little interest in playing the political games his master had employed to gain control. He styled himself as another Darth Vader, and those who remembered the old days did not think very highly of that idea. However, young Hux, son of the renowned Brendol Hux, had thrown in his support. And the boy was a skilled politician, so perhaps their worries were unfounded.

A meeting was arranged through General Hux and the old generals prepared their finest uniforms and most easily concealable weapons to head to Borosk. There was an ancient castle where Snoke had set up operations, and Kylo Ren had apparently seen no reason to relocate after killing his master. Ranks of Stormtroopers filled the building and camped out in the courtyard, Stormtroopers loyal to the illustrious Captain Phasma. Phasma, who also served Kylo Ren, and had for years. It was a show of strength that did not go unnoticed by the former Imperial officers and their descendants as they were admitted and shown to their respective rooms.

"Sir... Perhaps you should sit down," Captain Phasma suggested levelly.

Kylo Ren stopped his pacing to look at her sharply. She was unaffected, as usual, by his temper, and he turned to look out the window again. "Where's Hux?" he growled.

"The General will be joining us shortly. Before the others arrive."

"Good." He left the window to drop unceremoniously into the chair at the head of the table. It was times like these that he really wished he hadn't left his mask behind. Or had made a new one. But he suspected covering his face would cause the various leaders of the Imperial Remnant to think even less of him. Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes to settle his nerves. Unlike Hux, who had spent most of his career in meeting rooms, he had served through action and found this kind of thing tedious. The wisdom of placating the council was not lost on him – he just hated it. But he sat up in the chair, determined to look the part.

"Sir, they've all arrived and are awaiting your pleasure," Hux reported stiffly as he entered the room.

"Send them in," Kylo Ren replied calmly.

Phasma moved to stand behind him as the Knights of Ren entered the room. They bowed, and took their places around the dais much as Phasma had. Then the rest came in – mostly old men in their Imperial uniforms, with a few sons and other interested parties. He'd met some of them before, but Snoke had always been careful to keep his people spread out and answerable only to him. As much good as that did him. Their scrutiny of Kylo Ren was expected but unpleasant, and he returned their stares coldly, a fist clenched under the table.

There were some mumblings, but it was mostly silent as everyone filed in and settled down around the table. Some looks of annoyance or offense were directed at the table when the seating arrangement did not meet expectations. No one looked for long at Kylo Ren, or his Knights. Nervousness spread through the assembly as they considered the number of Dark Side users in the room, particularly as nothing was done to soften the military edge of the event.

Finally, Kylo Ren stood and everyone looked up at him. "The Resistance has destroyed two of our bases. The Republic is gone and yet they gain power. Our enemies are increasing as our allies flee to those who appear stronger. If they can, they will drive us out. And there will be nowhere to run, no safe corner of the galaxy to nurse your wounds. They will not make the same mistake again."