Will We All Just Burn Like Fire?

The First Order was gaining ground, but their progress was by no means a clean sweep. They surrendered their hold on systems with less strategic importance as necessary, though it gave the Resistance a false sense of accomplishment. Kylo Ren did not see this as a major problem except for the loss of potential allies that might result from this perception. Hubris had brought down empires before – it could be argued to be the reason the New Republic was no more. They had discounted any real threats and now were destroyed.

General Hux and the rest of the Imperial Remnant were as susceptible to hubris as the New Republic, if not more so, Kylo Ren thought. Snoke had been preparing them to retake the galaxy for decades and many of them couldn't imagine the possibility of losing. Had they not seen their own treatment of the New Republic? The weapon was gone and their overwhelming superiority was no more. As the powerful factions in the galaxy chose alliances, both sides of the line were becoming evenly matched in resources and manpower.

If they were to win this war, something had to change. A power vacuum had been opened and the First Order needed to fill it. The anarchy that ensued after the loss of the New Republic could be used to strengthen their insistence on the need to return to order, but the fact that they were the reason for its destruction in the first place was not a vote in their favor. It was one of the reasons he'd been against the weapon being used in the first place. While it made for a dramatic reveal to the galaxy, it would have been better if they had continued destabilizing the New Republic and showing it for the useless bureaucracy that it was. Then systems would have flocked to a stronger government.

Luke Skywalker was not supposed to return. His exile had been thorough and no one had expected the legend to materialize and choose a side. There were many peoples who followed the Force religiously, and knowing a Jedi was with the Resistance would cause them to throw in with that side no matter how powerful the First Order was. They would not follow the Jedi Killer and his Dark Side compatriots if they had the option to follow the Last Jedi.

So removing that option was a high priority. Beid Byehtho's resolve was wavering. He made excellent bait for the Resistance to bite off more than they could chew. The swiftness of the capture had been a surprise – Skywalker's apprentice was continuing to be stronger than anticipated – but had worked according to his plan. Lyek Ren was taken to the base itself and made his escape with his prize.

Iton Ren may have been a better choice, but she would also have presented Rey with more of a challenge and Kylo Ren couldn't be as certain of her failure as he could of Lyek's. And Lyek's reaction to it was much more predictable as well. In any case, Iton was the only one he could trust with her mission passed the Outer Rim, and this had worked out as hoped.

The generals' reaction was strong and they were out for blood. But he was getting used to handling them. When he suggested that capturing Skywalker was the plan, they had actually fallen silent – only for a moment, but longer than he could remember them being in a long time. They did not like him. He knew they were putting up with him and also knew that his tenure in this position was unlikely to continue when the war was over. Regardless of who won.

"Sir," a lieutenant said tentatively, standing in the doorway of the hall.

Kylo Ren looked up and gave a nod for the woman to come forward. "Yes?"

"A message for you, sir. In the viewing room."

Turning from the window he had been looking out, he stalked by the lieutenant, who held very still until he was gone. The viewing room was just down the corridor and he was unsurprised to find the usually busy place empty in anticipation of him. Settling himself in a chair there, he turned on the holo and was pleased to see Iton Ren, hard to make out though she was given her distance from here.