Chapter 5: Arnav

Khushi turned without warning and pushed against his chest, forcing him back inside the bedroom

"What the-! Khushi, what are you-"

"Shhhh!" she clamped a hand over his mouth, "Bua-ji is awake!"

Arnav couldn't resist kissing her palm, enjoying her surprised gasp as she removed it. She acted as though his lips had burnt her and glared when she saw his smile. He reached for Khushi, his smile widening, and savoured the feel of her against him as he wondered how Payal would explain her absence and whether Aakash would be caught alongside her.

Bua-ji called out for Payal and Khushi, saying that Nand Kishore was here to meet them.

"What?!"

He couldn't keep the suspicion and jealousy out of his exclamation, stepping out of sight as Khushi opened the door just wide enough for herself. She threw him an apologetic look as she edged outside. Alone, Arnav paced the length of Khushi's room, wondering what the hell NK was doing here at midnight and what'd happened to his jetlag. He opened the door to look out and saw NK shaking hands with Khushi while wishing her a happy new year. His own hands shook with the need to hit something. He watched, fuming, as NK handed Bua-ji a bunch of red roses. Khushi's favourite flowers.

It was bad enough that NK was dancing with Khushi for the Sangeet. Khushi hadn't said a word yesterday when he'd declined to take part, unequivocally stating that he wasn't going to dance and suggesting NK as a replacement. He loved Aakash, he did, but nothing was going to make him dance in front of an audience, even if Khushi was partnered with him. He'd regretted his decision not five minutes later, when the choreographer had asked NK to place a hand on Khushi's waist. Khushi had looked up at him, a silent plea in her eyes, but it was too late. He'd been forced to watch as NK had danced with Khushi, his Khushi, jealousy flaring bright and hot before morphing into anger. Arnav had tried to escape to his room but returned downstairs again and again to make sure that NK wasn't misbehaving with his woman, torturing himself with the sight of them together. When Khushi had stumbled, he'd caught her, holding her tightly against his body as she regained her balance. Later, when she'd escaped to briefly meet him in his bedroom, he'd crushed her close before kissing her, absurdly needing to reclaim her.

Now, he continued pacing her room, needing her to return to his side. Every second she spent outside with NK tore him up.

**********

The image is from IPKKND Episode 159.