Chapter 12: Khushi

Khushi watched her sister shift beside her on the bed, toying absently with the torn edge of her kameez. Giddy with excitement, Jiji had fallen asleep almost immediately, ignoring most of her jokes and questions about her outing. Envy, unexpected and unwanted, bubbled inside her, only to be quashed in the next moment. Instead, Khushi turned her mind to the man who was in danger of becoming the pivot of her entire world.

Arnav-ji.

It seemed silly to miss him when he'd been lying beside her on this bed not an hour ago, so close that his body had warmed hers without touching her at all.

Khushi hid her face in her hands as a blush heated her face.

What are we doing?

There were six weeks left until Jiji and Aakash-ji's wedding. They faced six more weeks of hiding from their families, six weeks where every moment they stole threatened to expose them. Neither of them, in all this time, had suggested staying away. It was impossible to even imagine staying away. They'd denied each other for months, yearned for each other but allowed everything else to get in the way. It wouldn't be borne for another second.

Khushi glanced at the sleeping form of her sister before pulling out the white-gold necklace she never took off and the ring that hung on it. No one had noticed it yet - her dupatta and hair hid it most of the time - and she was careful to kept it hidden. She slipped the ring on her left ring finger, remembering when Arnav-ji had placed it there himself before kissing her softly, and let the diamond catch the light.

Six weeks, and this would become her engagement ring.

Khushi closed her eyes but her tears spilled over anyway. Overcome, she realized that she needed to speak to him. Now.