Chapter 11: Arnav

Arnav reached towards Khushi for one last embrace but he froze as he recalled the way she'd flinched away earlier. Instead, he strode to the door and opened it, checking it was all clear before stepping outside. He turned for one last look at Khushi, who sat frozen on the bed, and quietly closed the door behind him.

He was almost at the front door when he heard footsteps.

"Arnav-ji," Khushi whispered, turning him around with hand on his shoulder, "Sorry."

She curled her fingers into his waistcoat, gently tugging him down, and pressed a lingering kiss to his cheek. Relief spread through him as he relaxed, feeling the world right itself again. She wasn't angry.

Or worse, afraid of me. Afraid of my touch.

"Happy new year, Laad Governor-ji," she murmured against his neck.

"Happy new year, Khushi Kumari Gupta," he pressed a kiss her temple, "Get some sleep. I'll pick you up in the morning, bright and early as usual."

She let go, following him to the front door and holding it open. Arnav ran to the car, sliding inside just as Aakash and Payal rounded the corner, and watched as Khushi waved before closing her front door. He sat in the driver's seat and fiddled with his phone, trying to look as though he'd been sitting here the whole time, while Aakash and Payal shared a drawn-out farewell. Although he tried his hardest not to watch, jealousy stabbed through him when he glanced over - a smiling couple holding hands as they shyly wished each other good night.

He and Khushi had met first, had fallen in love first, but their pride and his anger had kept them apart.

It should be us, preparing for our wedding, looking forward to a new future together. It will be us, in two months. I'll make sure of it.

Eventually, Payal slipped through her front door and Aakash collapsed into the passenger seat, grinning like an idiot. Arnav took one last look at the house before putting the car in gear.