Chapter 8

I sigh as I realize that my illusions aren't as strong as I'd like them to be. The Varia already arrived thus, putting all the Guardians on edge. Personally, I don't really care too much though. I'm only interested in watching the Mist, Cloud, and Sky matches. 

I continue to walk around while playing with my illusionary dog in hopes of finding the Varia members. Although, I'm not too sure that they'd be walking around, but I digress. 

The purpose of my illusion is not to give me something to do though. It's to catch spot the Varia. Surely, top-class assassins would be able to see through my illusion and look at me differently. 

I've been at it for an hour or so though, so I give up and walk behind a tree so I can make the dog disappear without attracting attention.

I walk to the store to buy food for tonight's dinner only to cross paths with a familiar face.

"Kokuyo Gang," the Storm Guardian mutters as his eyes meet mine.

"Storm Guardian," I reply.

"Tch." He leaves.

He's as pleasant as ever, I see.

____________________________________________________________ 

I sit on the couch, scribbling the answers to tonight's homework when I hear Mukuro's voice in my head. "I want you to teach Chrome."

My response is immediate. I refuse.

"Oh? Why is that?" he asks.

I disapprove. So, if you would like your puppet to be trained, you should find a willing instructor. Now, if I could be excused, I have homework to attend to. That being said, I block Mukuro out. I finish scribbling the answers to my homework quickly and stand up.

"I'm going for a walk," I say.

"Eh? Don't tell me that you're going to transfer out of Namimori and into another school that's further away," Ken says. He says it as though he doesn't really care, but really, I'm sure that he's freaking out on the inside.

"Ah, see you later," Chikusa replies. Well, at least one person trusts me.

"Don't be unreasonable Ken. Clearly, the next step would be to buy an apartment in Namimori," I tell him. "Moving out of Namimori would come after that."

Ken jumps up and exclaims, "EH?"

I sigh. "I'm joking, Ken. Do you really have that little faith in me?" I ask. "At least Chikusa noticed." I shake my head. "You can't get rid of me quite so easily. Even if I were to be killed, I'd definitely return to you guys as a ghost."

"Screw that!" Ken replies. "If you die, stay dead!"

"Sure, you say that now, but just wait until you get hungry. You'd gladly follow me all the way to Hell once that happens," I retort. "Anyways, I'll be back soon."

____________________________________________________________ 

This time, I go to the forest around the park and start to practice my illusions again. I realize that I can't do much without a target to torment and confuse though. I start to distort the surroundings, making it seem as though everything is spiraling inward as though the universe itself is being eaten by a black hole. Suddenly, I feel someone enter my illusion. I let the illusion go to see who came. I look blankly at the puppet and ask, "Is there something you need?"

"M-Mukuro-sama asks that you please teach me..." she replies softly.

"I don't teach," I reply as I channel my inner Chikusa.

"Please..?" she asks hesitantly.

"I'm serious, I don't teach." I reply. "If you really want to learn, then focus on strengthening your illusions. Send an illusion to me, if I can counter it, then it's not strong enough," I reply.

"T-Thank you..." she says quietly. She nods to herself. "Okay." She makes an octopus seem to grab me and start waving me around. I turn it into a sashimi platter with ease and sigh.

"Concentrate," I say. She nods and sends fire that starts to burn the grass and make its way towards me. I turn it into ice and make it melt. "The second I transform your illusion, you lose control of it. If you want to win an illusion battle, you'll have to do much better than that."

Next, she makes vines tie me up. So, I make them wither away and decay. I sigh and shake my head. "That's enough. Focus and make your illusions stronger. Don't expect any more help from me until your illusions become harder to counter," I say.

"O-Okay," she replies. There's a moment of silence between us. She seems to gather some courage and ask a bit hesitantly, "Why did you decide to help me?"

"'You are only as strong as your weakest member.' I can't let any of my allies be weak, temporary or not," I reply, "Don't expect much though, like I said, I don't teach."

She smiles at me for some reason and bows. "Thank you."

"What?" I ask. "What's with the smiling?"

She flushes and looks at the ground as she shuffles her feet. "I... I just thought that you're not a bad person after all..."

I fold my arms. "As if."