Chapter 22

In the middle of all the chatter, Dokuro suddenly asks, "U-Um... Mukuro-sama... What happened to Rokudo Mukuro?"

Irie Shoichi gasps. 

I cross my arms and wait. Let's see what this guy knows... 

"According to what Byakuran-san said, Mukuro had possessed a Millefiore soldier. Once Byakuran-san noticed, he personally..."

Dokuro gasps.

"N-No way!" Sawada exclaims.

"But I don't believe him," Irie, Shoichi continues.

Dokuro asks, "Huh?"

Irie, Shoichi explains, "Because his name never showed up on the Vendicare Prison's dead list."

I resist the urge to let out a sigh. Thank goodness... Mukuro-sama is okay for sure...

"Which means..." Sawada begins.

Irie, Shoichi smiles. "He's alive. That's certain." 

Dokuro collapses in relief. 

"H-Hey, you!" exclaims Irie, Shoichi. I don't run over to her, but I watch.

Kusakabe goes over to her over and exclaims, "Chrome-san!"

Irie, Shoichi helps her up and she says, "Thank goodness..."

 ____________________________________________________________     

I look around as they start to walk back to the base. I hang back and Hibari glances at me. "What are you doing?" he asks.

"Hibari-san, you're going back separately from the others, right?" I ask. 

He nods. 

I continue, "May I join you then?" He nods and I smile a little. "Thank you." I have a headache, but I know I can count on Hibari not annoying me.

After a little while, we head outside together. 

It seems like a normal day. People are going about their daily life, oblivious to their inevitable doom if Sawada and the others fail. Hibari's appearance made me realize that we've all been missing in our time for a while. I'm about to ask him a question, but Hibari suddenly asks, "This is where you disappeared to, isn't it?" 

I nod.

"Hm," he replies. He turns away again and continues to walk down the street. I hear him mutter, "I was worried."

My eyes widen and I find my cheeks beginning to warm. What Bianchi-san said really is true then... The present Hibari and the adult Hibari had feelings for me. That's...ten years of having feelings for someone? That's actually pretty sweet... I find my cheeks getting even warmer. 

Hibari turns to me again and gives me a questioning look. 

"I-It's nothing..." I reply, "I...I'm sorry if my disappearance caused you any trouble, Hibari-san."

"Your friends came to the school the other day," Hibari says abruptly. He realized that I was worried...?

My eyes widen a little. "Ken and Chikusa?" I ask.

"I don't know. There were two males from Kokuyo who came looking for you. I think I saw them once," he replies.

"Mm...was one of them blond with a large scar by this nose and the other one pale with glasses?" I ask. 

He nods. 

I smile a little. "That would be them then."

"The blonde one was very boisterous and demanded to know where you were," Hibari continues.