Chapter 20

I smirk as I catch a flash of silver hair. 

"Storm Guardian, you're going to owe me big time for this," I declare as I scratch Katsu behind the ears. "Good job, Katsu," I praise quietly. 

I dust off my hands. It's about time we finished digging around for bodies. "Kusakabe-san, I've got the Storm Guardian," I announce.

____________________________________________________________      

We find Hibari without much trouble, but it seems that he switched out with his younger-self by the time we get there. 

The Storm Guardian reacts surprisingly quickly considering how injured he is. He uses his box weapon to shield Hibari. When the smoke clears, the Storm Guardian smirks and says a bit haughtily, "Heh, I've returned the favor. But I guess you wouldn't know about that."

"Lambo-san has arrived!" the cow kid declares.

"Kyo-san!" Kusakabe exclaims. "Huh? The ten-years-younger version..."

"Back-up, huh? Fools who've barely escaped death won't help you," the opposing man with odd eyebrows says.

The Storm Guardian curses at the man. "Who are you calling fools-" He crouches down suddenly, dragging Kusakabe down along with him. Dokuro falls as well.

I fold my arms. "Back-up?" I scoff. "Sure, maybe these guys are but don't associate me with them." My eyes narrow.  "Let's clear this up, shall we? I'm not part of the mafia and I am definitely not anyone's back-up. I came here for my own reasons."

The man with the weird eyebrows focuses on me. He seems to be trying to figure out who I am. Heh, figures he has no idea who I am.

"Kusakabe, Tetsuya. When did I give you permission to join the crowd? I must ask that you withdraw from the Discipline Committee. Sato, you're promoted," Hibari says.

I look at him blankly. "Thank...you...?" I reply slowly. From secretary to...Vice Chairman? Wow, that's a huge leap up the hierarchy.

Kusakabe exclaims, "Kyo-san! Use the ring's flames! Fight back with your boxes!"

"'The ring's flames'? 'Boxes'?" Hibari asks. He looks a bit, well, lost. As lost as Hibari can look, at least, I suppose.

"That's right! The ring's flames!" Kusakabe replies.

"I don't know what these boxes are," Hibari begins.

Kusakabe cuts Hibari off and hangs his head. "It's no use huh?"

"But," Hibari continues, "as for the rings flames, I'm reminded of what the irritating Bronco said. He prattled on and on about how the ring's flames would be important for battles to come."

My eyes widen a little when Hibari lights a very, very large flame from the ring.

The cow kid's eyes start to sparkle. "Purple lights bursting everywhere..."

"There was no need for you people to come," Hibari declares.

"Kyo-san! The boxes! Focus the flames near your feet!" Kusakabe exclaims.

"When did you start giving me orders, Kusakabe, Tetsuya? I'll bite you to death first."

"Please wait, Chairman..." Kusakabe replies.

Mukurowl starts to flap by Dokuro.

I look closely at Hibari's surroundings and notice something strange as well. An attack...from behind...?! 

"Hibari-san! There's an attack from behind!" I warn.

At the same time, Dokuro exclaims, "Cloud person, behind you!"