12

Miranda stared into the mirror. She knew she looked stunning but still she was as insecure as she had been at their first few dates. The dark purple dress hugged her body in the right places and ended over her knees showing her perfect legs. It wasn't too revealing but still showed enough cleavage and her shoulders. She was wearing black lack peeptoes which made her 5 inches larger. Her makeup was slight.

Stephen had left before lunch to head back to his hotel, maybe to get some work done himself and leaving Miranda time for the book. He was already waiting for her downstairs for 20 minutes now but not because she wasn't ready. She just stood there staring at her mirror image, trying to convince herself to walk downstairs and spend the evening with her husband. She couldn't remember the last time she had been so insecure about herself.

When Miranda finally made her way down the stairs she could see Stephen leaning against the closet door, looking down on his blackberry. He didn't notice her right away. Just when she walked down the last few steps he looked up from his phone and his jaw eventually dropped at his view.

"Wow!" he breathed. "You look stunning Miranda."

And then suddenly her insecurity flew away and her face relaxed to a smile.

"Thank you. You look not so bad yourself."

He kissed her cheek before they both left the townhouse. Roy was already waiting outside for them. It took them about 30 minutes to get to the restaurant in which Stephen had reserved a table.

They ordered two glasses of wine, salmon with rice for Stephen and a salad with goat cheese and sunflower seeds for Miranda.

"Thank you Stephen." She took a sip from her wine.

"For what?"

"For bringing me here. It's beautiful. ... And for being there last night... I was... you know... I'm sorry for having been so whiny and" she stammered, looking down on her hands, before he cut her off.

"Stop. You have no idea how glad I was about you finally opening up to me again." He lifted her chin up with one hand so he could look right into her eyes and laid the other one on top of hers.

"You can't even imagine how much I missed you... how much I missed us."

"I missed you too." She could only whisper.

---------------------------------------------------------

They left the restaurant at 10pm. It was supposed to be dark outside but New York City is never dark. He laid one arm around her shoulder, holding her close, while they walked past some restaurant until they reached the Hudson bank. Just a few other people were crossing their way and it was less noisy and a little darker there. They were just walking arm in arm mostly without talking, enjoying the fresh evening wind on their skin.

Suddenly Miranda stopped, making Stephen look at her with surprise. He was about to ask her whether she was okay when she softly cupped his face with her hands and pulled him a little closer before kissing him. Tender kisses quickly turned into a passionate battle of their tongues in each other's mouth. Stephen hands wandered over her back down to her ass, squeezing it softly but still enough to make her shriek in surprise.

"I think your hands just left their place." She said with a smirk, eventually biting her lower lip.

"Well they thought it would be nicer a little lower." He leaned down to kiss her behind her ear, making her moan softly before she could remember where they actually were.

"Stop Stephen. We're in public."

"Nobody is here except us." Another kiss landed on her neck.

"But what if someone sees us? We should go."

"Go where?" He had this seductive look in his eyes which gave her goose bumps.

"Well... What about home? That place you and I used to live together. Remember?"

"Or... You know I'm paying for this hotel room. I should at least spend there more than a night. They're gonna think I'm crazy. So why don't we just go there?" Again this seductive smile before he kissed her shoulder. Stephen was about to kiss her lips when she pulled away.

"Wait. Where did you spend the second night?" she asked suspiciously.

"What?" he was confused by her question and at the same time he knew that he wouldn't be able to avoid answering it.

"You said you slept there just one night but you were gone two so..." she stepped back from him, waiting for an answer.

"I was there but I basically spend the nights at the bar so that's not how I meant it."

"How did you mean it?"

"Miranda you're interpreting too much into my silly talk."

"Just tell me Stephen."

"What do you want me to say now?"

"You were with someone else right?" She stared right into his eyes. She already knew what was about to come but still needed to hear him saying it.

"... Yes but it's not how you would think." He tried to comfort her. She was close to tears and he knew it although she tried to blink them away.

"So you didn't sleep with her?" She knew she wouldn't be strong enough to keep this conversation going much longer so she thought she'd better ask him directly what she wanted to know.

"No Miranda. I didn't sleep with her."

"But?" She hated how he couldn't just tell her the full truth.

"There was maybe a kiss but that's it. Miranda nothing happened okay? Can we please not ruin this perfect evening with a fight?"

Miranda was furious and sad at the same time.

"No we can't! So you thought you could just keep that from me and pretend it didn't happen?"

"It was nothing. I didn't think it would ever be important now that we were getting back together... and... we were separated when it happened though..."

"We were separated for a day! I can't believe that you were fooling around with some bitch you just met while I was at home crying my eyes out because I thought I lost you! And you know I'm normally not that way."

"Wait! I wasn't fooling around with her! We met at the hotel bar and just talked. We maybe drank too much and then we kissed BUT I told her that I couldn't do that and left."

"Sure because you're so great in leaving." Tears were rolling down her cheeks. She didn't even notice until one reached her chin.

"What is this supposed to mean now?!" They were shouting at each other. There gladly seemed nobody else to be around.

"You left me!"

"Yes because I couldn't continue like that anymore!"

"You... you broke... my heart... that night you... left." Her shouting turned into a whisper.

"Miranda please..." He was also whispering by now. His eyes followed one of her tears which rolled over her flawless face, ruining her makeup a little bit more than the previous already had.

"I think I should go now." She walked towards the traffic noises, her heels clicking over the asphalt. She didn't even intend to run but her body seemed to move on its own. So she ran towards the streets, trying to dry the tears on her face. She eventually heard Stephen calling her name from behind. He had first tried to keep up with her but soon decided to let her go. She got into the first cab which happened to drive by and headed home like she was in some kind of trance.

I'm sorry I couldn't update earlier but my laptop wasn't working the last week and so I could neither write nor update... I hope the longer chapter made it up to you. Tell me what you think in the comments and vote of course if you like it :)