Chapter 16

2 months later...

Rowan seemed to be doing a lot better since taking the anecdote that Zelena had provided to undo the mind-control spell that she had cast on the young werewolf. There were no odd side effects, like most of the potions that had been procured in town; which Ruby and Graham were eternally grateful for. However, the question remained if Rowan was completely cured and her powers were under control.

Time seemed to sneak up on the Humbert family quicker than the lasagna timer at Granny's Diner because the next time Graham and Ruby blinked, a very special day was upon them; a day which Ruby had developed varying emotions for overtime. Rowan's first birthday.

As happy and overwhelmed with joy as Ruby could be that she had spent an entire year of her life raising a perfectly healthy and content little girl, she still often wondered how much different her and Graham's life would be if they had gotten to meet their son.

~X~

Back when Ruby initially discovered that she was expecting a boy and a girl, she could vividly imagine their personalities in the future and how she and Graham would raise them.

She imagined that their daughter would be soft spoken and wise beyond her years. But it would take Graham and a village of thousands to protect her from the temptations of men who could easily take advantage of her.Ruby also imagined that their son would be athletic, sociable and outgoing. In her mind, he would develop a passion for protecting the ones he loved; just like his father.

Overall, Ruby imagined that both her children would be kindhearted people who anyone would be lucky to have in their lives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whilst driving to several party supply stores in order to get some last minute preparation done for Rowan's birthday party, Ruby increased the volume on the radio as she heard faint verses of a song she hadn't heard in a while; a song that as if by fate, perfectly described how she felt at the moment.

Ruby found herself wiping away several tears from the corner of her eye with a free hand as the chorus of the song began to play:

"Not a day go by that I don't think of you.
I'm always asking why this crazy world had to lose such as a ray of light we never knew.
Gone too soon"

"Oh, Lucas Graham Humbert. I miss you every day despite the fact that we never met. Your daddy and I would have paid any price no matter how great, if we could have just kept you alive; even if it was just long enough to see this day with your sister. But I know that you're doing a fine job in The Great Beyond" Ruby said as she looked toward the cloudless sky as she walked into Baloo's Party Shop.

~X~

Upon entering the shop, Ruby heard the ringing of a ruby silver bell and she was immediately greeted by a man in a royal blue t-shirt with a name tag that read: Flynn R. Foxworthy. He had thick chestnut brown hair that seemed to be styled into a Mohawk, chocolate brown eyes and a strong, attractive jaw line. He greeted Ruby with a wide smile and an upbeat tone of voice; which Ruby found to be a little too eccentric and she wondered if an overdose of caffeine was a potential culprit.

"Welcome to Baloo's Party Shop, where all your bare necessities can be found. What can I do for you?" He asked as he looked at Ruby adoringly.

"Well, today is my daughter's first birthday and I'm having trouble finding a few last minute details. I thought I'd find them here" Ruby replied as she handed Flynn a list of supplies that she and Graham had created.

On the list were several items such as:
•A red table cloth with white polka dot
• A couple more napkins and plates.
• Yellow plastic cutlery
• A #1 candle for Rowan to blow out