{1} My Birthday

Driving home from school, I was daydreaming about Shawn Mendes, the greatest new celebrity there was. Everything about him was amazing, his smile, his hair, his voice, his music, and, well, there wasn't much else I knew about him.

~ ~ ~

The next day was going to be my birthday and I wasn't planning a party, but knowing my sister, she probably had already arranged a surprise party with all my friends' help as she had done since I started going to high school. I wanted some Shawn Mendes merch, and my friends knew this, but it was expensive, so I didn't expect it.

Arriving in the driveway, I parked my black Camry and grabbed my backpack, swinging it over my shoulder. When I went inside, Sara was sitting at the table. It was Saturday and we went to different schools, me being in 11th grade, her in 9th grade.

"Whatcha doin, Sara?" I closed the door behind me.

"Just homework," and she quickly gathered all the papers and shoved them lazily in her own backpack. She blushed.

"Right," and I hurried upstairs to start on my own homework.

I got a text from Mandi, my best friend. Got any plans tomorrow?

I didn't have any plans, so I texted back - No, did you wanna do something?

M: Oh, I was just wondering if u wanted to come over to my house tomorrow to study for the exam on Wednesday.

E: I can do that, I could even come over right now

M: I'm actually busy right now, but tomorrow is good?

E: Yep. See you then.

I closed Messenger and opened Spotify. Time for the music to blast.

~ ~ ~

When I finished my weekend homework several hours later, it was dinner time. I stared at the Shawn Mendes poster on my wall for a minute or two, thinking about how it would be to meet him. A smile spread across my face as I walked downstairs, following the smell of pizza and the sound of the TV.

Once again, mom wasn't home yet and Sara had thrown a frozen pizza in the oven because knowing me, I would have been too lazy to do it. She was chilling on the couch watching a movie I had seen a million times.

"You excited for your 17th birthday tomorrow Em?" she said through a mouthful of pizza. A pepperoni fell on her lap.

"Yeah I guess, I mean I'm just a day older, still not old enough to move out though." I took a plate from the cupboard back in the kitchen, put two slices of pizza on it, and snatched a coke off the counter that Sara had left out for me.

"What, you can't stand me anymore?" Sara said, and she laughed.

"That's only a part of it Sara," and I sat next to her on the couch, also laughing. "What you got planned for tomorrow?" I took another bite of pizza, and then grabbed the remote and turned off the stupid movie.

"Hey! Why'd you turn the TV off? Whatever," she rolled her eyes, not even bothering to grab the remote like she used to when we were younger and we would constantly fight over the little things in life. "I'm not doing much tomorrow."

"I'm going to Mandi's to study."

"Cool," and her facial expression changed, like she was relieved about something. There were so many clues. But I just decided to pretend I knew nothing of the little "surprise" party that Mandi was throwing for me at her house.

~ ~ ~

I woke around midnight to the door to outside closing and creaking slowly. Mom was home. Where the hell had she been? That was for me to figure out later. I was exhausted.

~ ~ ~

In the morning, I woke to Sara standing next to my bed with a big smile on her face, holding a tray with warm chocolate chip waffles, and she had brought in a whole bottle of whipped cream.

"I made them myself Em," and she looked super proud of herself. I wasn't surprised that she made them. She is always cooking and baking nowadays.

"Thank you Sara," and I took the tray from her and dug in.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Emily, happy birthday to you!" Sara sang and danced around my room like a little girl and it was hilarious I almost choked on my waffle.

I looked at the clock and it was 9:38 am. I was going over to Mandi's at noon. Plenty of time to listen to Shawn Mendes and just chill in my room having the best bday morning ever.

**A/N So I will update whenever I can, please like and follow for more, comment suggestions and compliments :) thanks for reading, stay awesome! - EmForLife22