VI

After five days of Oliver's grand birthday party and the death of my mother, I was feeling a little bit okay. Been crying for nights now, and just yesterday we buried her in the cemetery. I did not want her death to be dragged for how many days and I don't want people comforting and saying sorry for my loss.

It has already been four days since the last time I saw Oliver at the castle, he hasn't called me yet and we were suppose to meet after his birthday, well according to my mother at least.

I've been helping out the other servants when it comes to the kitchen duties. I love cooking, actually. I got it from my father? I think.

"Wow! That smells so delicious Emily," and old woman said to me she passed by carrying a basket of vegetables and fruits.

"Are those fresh from that Market?"

"Oh yes dear! I am very happy because I even got a cheaper price. Guess, I still have the looks of a young woman," she said showing off some poses.

We all laughed at her comment and I just focused my attention the soup I am cooking. It was actually time for lunch and I was just finishing the soup and it would be ready to serve.

"Ok, it's done! Mekeiyla!!" I called out. She was then right beside me.

"Yes?"

"You can serve this one now," I told her and then took off my apron.

"Okay."

After I cooked the soup, I washed my hands and tied my hair again because it was hanging loosely. I checked myself at the mirror and I looked great. A red tint on my lips and pink shades on my cheeks brings out this innocent but really beautiful look on me.

"Emily, you know... you have been really great help in the kitchen. You're mother who was also inspired in cooking also helped us before. She learned from the best," another maid told me.

"Oh..." I tried my best to smile. Mentioning my mother still pains my heart. But what does she mean about my mother learned from the best?

I walk down the hall to the library. I have to study to cope up with the society. That's right, maids here in the castle doesn't go to schools or universities. We are trained and given home school so that we won't be left behind by the progress that the society is doing.

"Good day Madame Trina," I greeted as soon as I closed the doors behind me. Madam Trina is the castle's personal professor in all areas. She's the one training and teaching us the things that we need to learn.

"Good day Emily," she replied.

Everyday we give at least three hours of time in studying then afterwards; we will do our own chores. I looked around and noticed that Mekeiyla still isn't here. Maybe, she has a lot on her plate and can't come today, yet suddenly the doors opened.

"I'm sorry, I'm late Madame Trina," she said bowing down apologizing to Madame.

"Mekeiyla, this is the third time this week," she said disappointingly.

"I'm really sorry."

Mekeiyla sat beside me still bowing her head and I noticed something on her face. "Mekeiyla, you look like a mess. Where have you been? And you have lipstick all over your face," I said pointing out the smudged lipstick.

"I'm sorry Em. I was just... uhm, hold up by some work," she explained uncomfortably. Not once in all the classes we had with Madame Trina she comes late. I wonder what happened with her.

"That is one hell of a work for your hair to be messed up and your lipstick smudged all over and geez girl, your sweaty," I said while taking down notes.