Midnight Calls

Simon.

I tossed and turned in my bed, my heart racing in my chest. 

"Come on, Simon. As if I could love you," Baz sneered. He looked so evil in my dreams, like his body had been possessed. I knew Baz would never hurt me. I knew that.

"No, Baz. Please," I begged. Baz sniggered and leapt towards me, his fangs out and ready to drain me.

I woke with a start and looked around my room. It was the same as it was before I went to sleep that night. My windows were properly shut and locked, and the curtains were drawn. My desk was a mess of papers and my laptop sat within the mess, slightly closed. I sighed in relief. It was just a dream. Not a dream. A nightmare. It was just a nightmare. I look to the other side of the bed and see it empty. Baz. He didn't live with me, but I wanted him to. I needed him to.

I picked up my phone, the closest thing I could get to Baz right now, and dialed his number from memory. He picked up on the third ring. 

"What's wrong?" Baz croaked into the phone. He must have been sleeping. I felt kind of bad for waking him up. 

"Hey, Baz. Nothing's wrong. I just... I had another one," I admitted sheepishly. After The Incident, that's what we had decided to call it, I had been plagued with horrible nightmares. Sometimes I died, and sometimes Baz did. Sometimes it was just Ebb's lifeless body mocking me, telling me that I could have done something. Done more. Baz didn't get nightmares. His life was the same as it was before, and he just carried on as usual. It wasn't fair. I lost everything that night, and the world just kept turning.

I could hear Baz stiffen on his end. He hated that I had these nightmares. "What happened, Simon?" he asked softly. 

I shook my head. "You don't want to know," I managed as tears started coming to my eyes.

"Please tell me, love. Just tell me," Baz soothed. I loved it when he was so gentle and caring, and I loved that I was the only one that he was ever like this to. I felt special when I was with him, like even though I was no longer The Chosen One, I was still someone of worth.

I took a deep breath. "You were there," I say. I hear Baz sigh. "And you killed me. You drained me in one go."

Baz doesn't say anything for a moment. What should he say? He's sorry? He can't be. It wasn't him. It wasn't him. 

"I would never hurt you, Simon." That's all he says. And then there's more silence and I hang up because I'm crying and I'm tired now. I wonder how it's even possible that Baz lives such a care free life after The Incident. I can't even remember a single nightmare-free night since that day, and it seems totally unfair that Baz gets to just live life like he used to. Well, he's got me now. I guess that's the extent of his troubles, though.